none
there is not enough space available on the disk (s)to complete this operation

Question

• When I try to expand the disk on my windows 2008 server I get this error:

there is not enough space available on the disk (s)to complete this operation

any suggestion are greatly appreciated

Thanks

AL

Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:07 AM

Answers

• Edwin, thanks for the reply, what is the difference between extend and extend filesystem?
    • Marked as answer by allan.lonz Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:17 PM

All replies

• Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Dave thanks, the info is greatly appreciated, but unfortunately, this does not apply to me.

I Have a dynamic disk on a windows 2008 server, and its not the OS volume.

But any other suggestions are appreciated.

Kindly,

AL

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:46 PM
  • It should have worked. Make sure the system isn't paging to this vloume.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Dave,

Thanks again for the response, you are a gentleman.

But the page file is not on this volume. I am really confused by this: it is a Dynamic NTFS data volume, set as a GPT volume and I still can't get it to expand with disk manager. I can even see the unallocated space.

I would try this with diskpart but I don't know how to use this tool good enough.

This is very critical for me and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Any system event logs entries related to these attempts?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Unfortunatley not.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Sometimes it is caused by disk fragment as a piece of fragment is in the end of the volume, so system cannot expand the volume as there is "data" in the end of it.

You can test to run a defragmenter to see if issue can be solved. If still not, you may consider using a third party disk management tool to do the job.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Shaon,

Thanks for the reply, I am going to try it and get back to you.

AL

Monday, October 17, 2011 1:50 PM
  • I ran diskeeper and defragged the disk, but I am still getting the same error.

Do you know exactly what this error means?

What is it referring to when it means "there is not enough space on the disk" what disk?

How does it determine the free space?

Is there some way I can understand how it thinks there is no space on the disk?

Because the disk I am trying to expand has 250 GB free. and I can even see in diskmanager 900 GB of contiguous allocated space availabe.

Perhaps some of the advanced commands diskpart can give a clue?

Any suggestions on why it thinks the disk has not free space?

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Can you send me output of

diskpart> list disk

diskpart> sel vol <volume>

diskpart> extend disk=<disk>

Let me have a look before I can suggest you something,

Regards

Satish

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Satish, Thanks for your reply and here is the output:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt

--------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---

Disk 0    Online          136 GB      0 B

* Disk 1    Online         3724 GB      0 B   *    *

Disk 2    Online          465 GB  1024 KB

DISKPART> list vol

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

* Volume 0     D   New Volume   NTFS   Simple      2792 GB  Healthy

Volume 1     Z                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media

Volume 2         System Rese  NTFS   Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System

Volume 3     C                NTFS   Partition    136 GB  Healthy    Boot

Volume 4     E   FreeAgent D  NTFS   Partition    465 GB  Healthy

DISKPART> sel vol 0

Volume 0 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> extend

The specified disks have less than 1 MB of free space available.

Please specify a disk with at least 1 MB available free space.

DISKPART>

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Whether all the volumes are Primary partitions? Please have a look on this article:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t11.html

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Couple of things

1) Basic volumes are basically partitions. They can only be extended only if they have consecutive free space.

2) Dynamic volumes can be extended to other dynamic disks.

So if you try to extend basic volume make sure you have consecutive free space available.

If it is a dynamic volume convert disk 2 to dynamic and now extend the volume. This should resolve your issue.

Do let me know if there is still an issue. You can also send the snapshot of diskmgmt and volume name,

Regards

Satish

Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Satish,

Thanks for the response, this is a dynamic volume.

I am trying to Expand the dynamic disk to unallocated space on the same disk. This is a raid array attached to the server that I have just expanded.

I tried to upload a screen print but it won't let me, the file is to big. Do you have an email address i can send it to you?

Monday, October 24, 2011 2:07 PM
  • I think I have identified the problem:

The way "dynamic disks" (aka "LDM partitions") work is to treat a set of partitions (in my case, partition #1 from this disk and presumably other partitions from other disks) as if it were a disk. You can then add, delete, and modify partitions within that partition.

The trouble is that the main LDM partition on this disk is too small.

What's more, there are two partitions between it and the underlying 931 GiB of free space on the disk.

Disk \\.\physicaldrive1: 7809794048 sectors, 3.6 TiB Logical sector size: 512 bytes Disk identifier (GUID): CF86DA58-C7D3-4BE9-B5B7-796560D56528

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 7809794014 Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries Total free space is 1952448512 sectors (931.0 GiB)

> Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name

>    1              34      5857083358   2.7 TiB     4200  LDM data partition

>    2      5857083359      5857085406   1024.0 KiB  4201  LDM metadata partition

>    3      5857085407      5857345502   127.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved part

Ultimately, the solution is likely to lie in the Windows tools -- there may be a way to resize that LDM partition (moving the other partitions in the process), or to add another LDM partition to the disk.

Do you know of a tool to resize the LDM partition?

AL

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Dynamic disks are based on a single partition LDM Data partition. It internally contains details for various volumes.  Basically here partition 2 is the metadata partition which says how volumes are organized. Actual data resides in partition 1 that is LDM Data partition. In windows if there are 2 dynamic disks it will contain same LDM Metadata and they contain records for various volume entities and where they reside like on disk1, disk2 or, etc.

Refer to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Disk_Manager

Do send me snapshot of diskmgmt.msc and I can suggest you something,

Regards

Satish

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:08 AM
  • DISKPART> extend  

did you try

DISKPART> extend filesystem

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Satish,

Thanks for the reply but this forum won't allow me to upload the screen print, its too big.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Edwin, thanks for the reply, what is the difference between extend and extend filesystem?
    • Marked as answer by allan.lonz Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:17 PM
  • First of all, did it solve your problem ?

Second; the "extend filesystem" is the replacement of an old Microsoft support tool called fsextend.exe. There are some cases where the partition itself is extended, but the filesystem allocations were not. The reasons for this are unknown to me. the "DISKPART> extend filesystem" will then extend the filesystem on the already extended partition.

Rgds,

edwin.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Edwin,

Thanks but I had to convert back to basic disk, then i was able to expand.

So the case is solved, - some what - , I don't have dynamic disk anymore but i have the free space.

AL

• Proposed as answer by jquest21 Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:38 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Hi, Not sure if this problem has been solved, but we are still having the same problem as shown below.

The partition size is completly incorrect...

Regards.

Bruce.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt

--------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---

Disk 0    Online          119 GB  3072 KB

* Disk 1    Online         2115 GB      0 B   *

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset

-------------  ----------------  -------  -------

Partition 1    Dynamic Data        67 GB    16 KB

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

* Volume 0     F   Data         NTFS   Simple      1556 GB  Healthy

Volume 1     D                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media

Volume 2     C                NTFS   Partition    119 GB  Healthy    System

DISKPART>

DISKPART>

DISKPART> extend

The specified disks have less than 1 MB of free space available.

Please specify a disk with at least 1 MB available free space.

DISKPART>

Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Maybe too late for this now...but I had similar issue. To resolve did a rescan of disk in question. Then was able to extend successfully
    • Proposed as answer by TSO Friday, June 01, 2012 6:44 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Simple comment jquest21, but that was the simple problem for me!  A rescan found the extra disk space.
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:35 PM
  • i too had this problem. simply rescanning the disk solved the problem
    • Proposed as answer by cc443 Saturday, August 04, 2012 1:16 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 1:04 PM
  • I had the same problem and after rescanning the disks, I was able to extend the volume. 
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:16 AM
  • did the trick for me to. Thanks jquest21.

Win 2008 R2 SP1, tried to extend a F drive (dynamic) drive (not system, boot or anything just Healthy drive  ;-)

right click on Disk Management and rescan disk did the trick. Thanks a lot.

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Only RAW partion can be extended with boot drive(system partion).
    • Proposed as answer by AmitCEH Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:26 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Rescan the disk did the trick :)
    • Proposed as answer by Winnie Xu Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:45 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:45 PM
  • u may try minitool partition wizard, a professional partition manager. 
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:35 AM
  • I had the same issue.  After upgrading all of the drives in the array, I used the RAID controller's OCE (Online Capacity Expansion) to expand the array.  Disk Management in Windows Server 2012 saw the unallocated space, but would not extend the Dynamic volume giving the error "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation."

After initiating "Rescan Disks" in Disk Manager, the Extend Volume function worked.

Thanks for the tip!

• Proposed as answer by Paul.B Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:28 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 6:15 PM
  • I know this is old but for anyone searching for this through Google. this can also happen if you have UAC enabled and you open Computer Management without opening it via Run As Administrator.  Some programs will automatically prompt to elevate when opened, Computer Management is not one of those.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Recently, I also have this kind of problem on my new purchased lenovo X1 carbon.  It turns out that I need to delete the lenovo recovery software which takes up 13.3GB space. After I remove it, everything goes back normal.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:03 AM
  •  If you are using a pre configured laptop or desktop that is set up by the manufacturer, then this problem arises, as there are certain limits on windows 7 and 8. Also the drives they create are of different system, So if you have a problem partitioning such kind of systems then copy any data stored in  back up or recovery partition. Then delete the partition from windows disk manager, once this is done shrink main primary partition and with the allocated space shown create a new disk. then the error no disk space will not show up. and partitions can be created.

regards,

Vamsi 

Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Maybe too late for this now...but I had similar issue. To resolve did a rescan of disk in question. Then was able to extend successfully

Not too late, this information helped me with Windows 2012, rescanning solved the problem, thank you.
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Just make sure that the space that you are trying to make a new hard disk with, says unallocated space instead of free space. If it says free space then right click on it and delete partition and then try again.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Thank you, I was having this issue on a Server 2008 R2 Dynamic disk. Non System, non page file. Rescan Was the ticket.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 2:04 AM
  • many thanks, RESCAN was all it took..
    Friday, May 16, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Rescan finally made it - very simple but effective   :-D

Thanks a lot!
    Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:13 AM
  • Right-clicking on Disk Management, choose to rescan the disks. After this is completed, you will be able to extend the volume.

Doug White

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:08 PM