none
2008 R2 Server Internet access to wireless router

Question

• I recently built a windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server. i have my cable modem connected to my Internet Ethernet adapter on the server. I have a cable going from the Network Adapter to a Gigabyte Switch. The Switch then connects to a E2500 Dual Band Router. The Server has internet access and i can access computer through Logmein. My laptop which is connected to the Router receives a message the DNS isn't responding. on a side note i changed the settings in the router so it disabled the DHCP and i also changed the router IP to a 10.0.x.x Format.

Please let em know what information is needed to help grant internet access through the router.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would suggest that you connect your cable modem to the router, the router to the switch, and the rest of your hosts such as your server connect to the switch.  The hosts on your network would use the router as the default gateway. 

modem >> router >> switch >> server and other hosts

IT Guides and Videos | itgeared.com

itgeared.com facebook twitter youtube

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:06 AM
  • thank you for the info. i now have internet access to both machines. however my main reason to run modem to server first was for better security. My server has two Ethernet ports i configured one to be Internet. the other one as my MDN Network connection. i guess im trying to get the Network side of server to speak with the E2500 router so when i have computers connected to router i can still access the server through its ip address or name.

At the moment this is now how i have it setup for access.

Modem-->Router-->Server and Laptop. Server-->Switch

The Setup im hoping to accomplish is this

Modem-->Server-->Switch-->Router-->Laptop.

The Reason for this setup. basically they are located in two locations. Server at the moment is standalone, i plan to add more computers with different server example: home server, exchange 2010. that's where the switch comes into play, for those computers to still have a connection. the router is in front of the house where my laptop is located.

I hope this makes more sense.

Jason Mc.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:43 PM
  • You can design it as you wish and get it to work.  In your proposed design, your Server will be functioning as a router as well.  To get this to work, you need to share routing information between the server and your router, or create static routes so that the routers know how to pass packets between the various network segments you are establishing.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:11 PM
  • What if i flash my Router with DD-WRT for the Linksys E2500. ive been reading this would help make things easier and give more features to work with.

Jason Mc.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

In order to share internet access from server, you would need to install RRAS role. As Jorge mentioned, use this server as a router.

For more information about RRAS, please refer to the following article.

Install the RRAS Role Service

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd314183(v=ws.10).aspx

Configuring RRAS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458979.aspx

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 09, 2012 6:48 AM
  • thanks for the update. it looks like i already has the RRAS setup. after looking over all the sets im thinking maybe the issue is on the router side. im using a linksys Cisco E2500. i have updated the Firmware with DD WRT. if anyone is familiar with that software please let me know what settings should be changed around.  

Jason Mc.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Regardless of the type of router you have in place on your network, if you have more than one router on your network with more than 2 segments, you'll need to configure the routing tables via dynamic or static routing.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 6:01 PM
  • ok so now laptop and server both have internet connection. i can ping my laptop from the server however i cannot ping server from laptop. i attempted to join the laptop to the servers domain and that failed as well. said it could not contact domain.

the setup is Modem-->Router-->server and Laptop. server-->Switch. nothing is plugged into the switch, its just there for future use. 

Jason Mc.

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:07 PM
  • For you to be able to join the domain, the client (laptop) would have to be pointing to the DNS server that is hosting the AD zone.  If your clients are pointing to the Internet router for DNS, AD is not going to work properly.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:43 AM