none
attempting to bring the resource sql network name fail

Question

• Hi,

i have 2 node SQL Server 2008 R2 Cluster on windows 2008 R2. when i mode resource from Node 1 to Node 2.  Tha ownership move to node 2 but network resource name and SQL Services didn't come online. when i try to bring online got following error:

an error occured while attempting to bring the resource sql network name online

I run validation test and found following warning

The "Cluster Group" does not contain a File Share Witness or a Witness disk. This is a required resource for the group. It may be difficult to manage the cluster with this resource missing.

pls tell what si the issue and how to fix it.

thx

iffi

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:18 AM

Answers

• It looks like you have two separate errors.  The first is that your quorum model may be incorrect.  You should have a witness disk as a third voting member in a two node cluster.

As to why the SQL network name resource did not come on line, it could be due to a duplicate name or to the cluster being unable to login to the corresponding VNO (Virtual Name Object) in Active Directory.  You can check the system and application error logs for details as to why the resource failed to come online and report back here or investigate it yourself further.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:02 PM