none
Cluster Disk Reservation

Question

• Hello,

I'm new to setup a cluster environment.

I've created a shared lun and have mapped it into my hyper-v host, now in both server the disk is available but as i added that disk on the cluster storage from the server , one server (HV1SRV is my hostname) shows the disk as reserved so that i'm not able to load balance the Virtual machines as per the free server resources.

My requirement is as follows:

I've two physical server, in each i would like to have four virtual machines and for these VM's it should use single disk to save its vhd files.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:22 AM

Answers

• Create the virtual machine from failover cluster manager.  Make sure you select a location on the CSV to store the virtual machine.  Create a new virtual machine:

Check the "store virtual macine in a different location" and use a path that is on your CSV. If you don't do this, the configuration ends up stored on the node you created the virtual machine on.

• Marked as answer by Abdul-Razak Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:14 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:31 PM

All replies

• If you want more than one node of the Hyper-v cluster to access the disk at the same time, instead of a traditional clustered disk resource with a drive letter, you need to create a Cluster Shared Volume.  To do that, you must first enable cluster shared volumes on you hyper-v cluster.

In failover cluster manager, click once on the name of the cluster in the left hand pane.  In the center pane you'll see a hyperlink (third one down) that's titled "Eable Cluster Shared Volumes..."  Click that to enable CSVs.  Then, instead of adding a shared disk, add a cluster shared volume.  In the left pane, right click "Cluster Shared Volumes" and select add storage ...

Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:28 AM
  • http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=11491 tells you all you need to know about CSV's

MCITP SA - MCP Active Directory - MCP Infrastructure - MCP Server Virtualization www.it101.eu

Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:58 AM
  • hello John,

i've already done that, but my concern is when i create vm its actually managed by one of the cluster host,

how do i create VM's with second server,

I've 64 gb of ram for each servers i'm planing to implement Exchange dag in hyper-v, i'm planing to allocate 32gb from each server.

how do i accomplish this..?

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Create the virtual machine from failover cluster manager.  Make sure you select a location on the CSV to store the virtual machine.  Create a new virtual machine:

Check the "store virtual macine in a different location" and use a path that is on your CSV. If you don't do this, the configuration ends up stored on the node you created the virtual machine on.

• Marked as answer by Abdul-Razak Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:14 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Is it possible to do with scvmm 2008 r2 ?
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Yes,

It either takes some scripting or an OIP.  I've gone both routes.  I built a lot of PowerShell cmdlets specific to the storage I work with (I work for a storage vendor) and have also done a lot of work with Opalis/Orchestrator.  To get a peek, you can look up the NetApp/Cisco Microsoft Hyper-V Fast Track solution I did.  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/private-cloud/hyperv-cloud-fast-track.aspx

Sadly, the level of support for this sort of thing varies depending on the underlying storage platform.  I'm not qualified to talk about storage platforms other than NetApp, where my expertise is.  If your storage happens to be NetApp, then there are many examples from my team posted on the blog www.netapp.com/msenviro.   Please take a look at the "200 VMs Per Hour" rapid deployment post by Glenn Sizemore.  It leverages the "Thin Fixed VHD" and Sub-Lun cloning work I did.

https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/msenviro/blog/2011/10/24/200vph-vms-per-hour

Also, look at the posts from Alex Jauch around Opalis integration and our OIP.  Please check it out to get an idea of what's possible...

https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/msenviro

BTW: Version 2.0 of the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit is currently in beta.  We're up to roughly 1000 cmdlets.  I'll be blogging soon on the new ones... 

ConvertTo-NaVhd  - conversion from/to dynamic VHD, fixed VHD, VMDK, P2V etc. leveraging sub-lun cloning and copy offload (very fast).

ConvertTo-NaLUN - conversion V2P

Get-NaHostVolumeAlignment  - check alignment of the partition inside a VHD

Repair-NaHostVolumeAlignment - Align misaligned partitions inside a VHD

Remove-NaHostFile - single file space reclaimation

Copy-NaHostFile - Sub-Lun cloning

Get-NaEfficiency - reporting on storage efficiency for features like thin provisioning, sub-lun cloning, deduplication, etc.

And much, much, more.

J

Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:23 AM
  • hello John,,

Thanks for your support, things are working fine.

Will ask again if I got any trouble.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:08 PM