none
updates stuck at 99%

Question

• Dear All,

I have installed WSUS server done as per the docs and for test purpose just wann check one computer which i joined to my AD server and moved it to a OU where the WSUS policy is applied

now it got and installed the updates but I see in the updates console screen==>computers==> all computers i see a yellow icon which says

7 updates have not been insalled

171 updates have been installed

now also i see in all updates screen

the 7 update files
     6 have under classificatoion as update roll ups and under approval as not approved
     1 have under classification as security updates and under approval as install

just wondering why it did not get installed also i have a rule in options==>automatic approvals==> default automatic approval rule which says when an update is in critical updates, secutiry updates, update rollups, updates,  ... approve for all computers

appreciate  your help and advice

thnks and regards

simon

The below was my earlier post  which is solved now since I uninstalled WSUS and installed from scratch .
    now Its working fine

Dear All,

I have installed WSUS and the synchronisation went perfect. then in my update services screen i noticed that the download status it started to download the maximum download size shown ws abt 19 GB.

i used to monitor this and the download  was increasing but after it reached about 16 gb the download stoped.

i checked in event viewer and it told me the.... server is failing to download some updates downlaod status

then in update services console ===> updates ===> security updates i could see about 14 updates have a red cross under the status rollup and it said that the update failed to downlod.

i restarted the WSUS server and now the update services pge srart showing me
    download status 

update needing files 32

download 6 mb of 932 mb and the download was increasing and i found that at 220 mb it stop again

the wsus server is on the same server as my Active directory server

also i am using a squid proxy server for connecting to the internet 

appreacite your kind advice and help

Monday, March 01, 2010 10:27 AM

Answers

• as you say that the update rollups rule in options defualt automatic rule does no approve update rollups classification so how do i go about  the sttus message which says updated pending and still t 99%
    This 99% "Installed/Not Applicable" reflects the fact that you have six Not Installed/Not Approved updates in the Update Rollups classification. I would suggest reviewing the update definitions for those updates, determining if any are superceded, approve those that are not, and work toward resolving the status on those six updates. Once you've done that, I would expect the "Installed/Not Applicable" value to rise to 100%

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:27 PM

All replies

• I see in the updates console screen==>computers==> all computers i see a yellow icon which says

7 updates have not been insalled

now also i see in all updates screen

the 7 update files
     6 have under classificatoion as update roll ups and under approval as not approved
     1 have under classification as security updates and under approval as install

just wondering why it did not get installed
    The six updates in the Update Rollups classification are NOT APPROVED. That's why those did not get installed. As for the one security update -- you'll need to identify WHAT security update that is, verify that it should be installed, confirm that the content for the update is downloaded, and then check the status of the client system. (Perhaps it is pending a restat and cannot install any additional updates? Perhaps it's simply not reported status yet for the installation of that update?
    also i have a rule in options==>automatic approvals==> default automatic approval rule which says when an update is in critical updates, secutiry updates, update rollups, updates,  ... approve for all computers
    Okay . . . but this rule won't approve updates in the Update Rollups classification.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Thnks a lot Lawrence for your immedite reply
    by the way I ran wuauclt /detectnow on the client and after sometime i saw the 1 security update which was under approval installed and now i see that 6 updates are remaning all under update rollups.

as you say that the update rollups rule in options defualt automatic rule does no approve update rollups classification so how do i go about  the sttus message which says updated pending and still t 99%

I cn try to manully approve them n check it out but just was wondering why they were not approved or how do i automatically approve them in future since now i jus hve one test computer but will have after testing about 700 to 800 client computers

thanks once again

regards

simon

Monday, March 01, 2010 4:27 PM
  • as you say that the update rollups rule in options defualt automatic rule does no approve update rollups classification so how do i go about  the sttus message which says updated pending and still t 99%
    This 99% "Installed/Not Applicable" reflects the fact that you have six Not Installed/Not Approved updates in the Update Rollups classification. I would suggest reviewing the update definitions for those updates, determining if any are superceded, approve those that are not, and work toward resolving the status on those six updates. Once you've done that, I would expect the "Installed/Not Applicable" value to rise to 100%

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:27 PM