none
DFS replicates some reparse points but not others

Question

• Hi,

I am using DFS Replication between 2 systems running Windows Storage Server 2003 Service Pack 2.  On the source system, the application files (*.EXE) to be replicated are stubbed (set to a 4KB reparse point that contains the file metadata and the actual data is stored on a removable RDX cartridge).  When DFS replication runs, it is able to replicate some of the stubbed files but not all of them.  I get an error 4406 that says:

"The DFS Replication service encountered an unsupported reparse point in a replicated folder. This reparse point will not be replicated because the replication of this type of reparse point is not supported by the DFS Replication service.

"

I've searched the MS-FRS2 document that explains that certain types of reparse points can be replicated but others can't.  So my question is, why can some files with a .EXE extension get replicated but others can't?  What else do I need to know about these .EXE files to help me understand why some won't replicate?

Thanks,
    Paul

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

To ensure that this is the issue you can:

- Look in DFSMGMT.MSC under Namespaces and you'll likely see that this path is shared to match what is in the Namespace Servers tab

- Use FSUTIL to dump the reparse data against this folder's contents. For example:

1. DIR C:\DfsRoots\Public <-- will see a junction pointed folder here.
    2. FSUTIL reparsepoint query C:\DfsRoots\Public\SomeJunctionFolder

Reparse Tag Value : 0x8000000a
    Tag value: Microsoft
    Tag value: DFS
    Reparse Data Length: 0x00000000

Please don't replicate data in the DFS Namespace root EVER - this guidance is unchanged from DFS/FRS on 2000/2003 RTM.
    DFS-R just stops you from destroying data like you could in the past,

Set up the empty DFS Root target folders, then create Folder (Link) Targets and replicate *that* set of data instead.

This is by design behavior.

There should never, exever be any data in the Root Target folders cept what is automatically created by DFS Namespaces (DFSN).

It should consist only of shares which have been reparse pointed to allow DFSN to operate.

It is also possible that there is a non-MS reparse point.

Using FSUTIL like above will (hopefully) show you a 3rd party TAG in that scenario.

More info on Reparse Points:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365503(VS.85).aspx

More info on reparse points and DFSR (DFSR FAQ):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238.aspx

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by PBratach Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:09 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:04 AM
  • David,

Thank you for the previous response.  I am not replicating data in the DFS namespace root, I am replicating files in a shared folder.  The files are then stubbed with the reparsepoint tag 0x16 (HSM).  According to the DFS Design page ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772778(WS.10).aspx ) files with reparsepoint tag of HSM are supposed to have their contents replicated.  But in my case that is not happening.  Here is the FSUTIL output from the file and the Event Viewer error.  My question is, why can't this file that has a reparsepoint tag of HSM be replicated?

Thanks,
    Paul

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>fsutil reparsepoint query "D:\ArchiveVaultFolders\ISV_ReadWrite_1\DFSTEST100108-A\New Folder100113\Mimosa\ENT\SETUP\I386\EXCHANGE\BIN\esebcli2.dll"

Reparse Tag Value : 0x00000016

GUID : {EBAFF6E3-F21D-4496-8342-58144B3D2BD0}

Reparse Data Length: 0x00000018

Reparse Data:

0000: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ca f1 aa a7 6b 4a 35 00 ............kJ5.

0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

==================================================================

Here is the error from Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: DFSR

Event Category: None

Event ID: 4406

Date: 1/27/2010

Time: 1:38:24 PM

User: N/A

Computer: ISV-TEST-1

Description:

The DFS Replication service encountered an unsupported reparse point in a replicated folder. This reparse point will not be replicated because the replication of this type of reparse point is not supported by the DFS Replication service.

Additional Information:

File Path: esebcli2.dll

Replicated Folder Root: D:\ArchiveVaultFolders\ISV_ReadWrite_1\DFSTEST100108-A

Replicated Folder Name: InfiniVaults

Replicated Folder ID: 0DEC009E-2D37-4500-96F8-1428741B01FA

Replication Group Name: DFSTEST100108-A

Replication Group ID: 3C90ED09-5390-43EC-A15F-D2CA44871E08

Member ID: 24ED6BB8-1EA9-4349-9802-52B26079FD8A

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

================================================================================================

Friday, January 29, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Is there any reason why files in a shared folder with a reparsepoint tag 0x16 (HSM) are not replicated?  See my previous post from January 29, 2010 for the details about the file I am trying to replicate.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Hi PBratach,

I was told that no reparse points are replicated with DFS. Did you ever resolve this issue?

We have an issue where the Enterprise Vault Reparse Points are being deleted by DFS, causing a nightmare in our office! We didn't really care that they weren't being replicated as generally remote offices weren't accessing the old files, and if they did they could just access the share from our main office (just that it would be a little bit slower for them)

It would be great to know if you got them to replicate.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:15 AM