none
Failed Advertising Test

Question

• Hi All,
    I added a server 2008 (64bit, sp1) domain controller with DNS to our existing domain.  I ran DCDIAG and it fails the Advertising test.  I've checked replication by running repadmin /showrepl and it was successful, then I forced replication between the new 2008 DC and the old 2003 DC at our site and that also passed (I did it both ways).  I checked the time server on both DCs and they're both using time.windows.com,0x1.  I've also checked to make sure that the new DC is a global catalog server and it is.

There is no netdiag utility on the 2008 server, so I can't run netdiag /fix.  I've tried dcdiag /fix, but that doesn't fix the issue.  We have DC's in other sites that I don't manage, so I have to be a little careful of what I do...but I'm open to any suggestions!  Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:30 PM

Answers

• Sorry for replying a bit late. I reviewed your netdiag results and I found this error message:
    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
        [FATAL] Could not open file C:\Windows\system32\config\netlogon.dns for reading.
        [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Is there a DNS Server installed on your domain controller? If yes, please review the configuration with an expert very carefully, because this is vital for running the Active Directory. You could try to fix it, by trying this:
    Just rebuild the dns zone, since it's relatively easy to do.

Just delete the forward lookup zone, restart the dns server service, and recreate the zone with the same name.

Then either restart the DC to have it re-register it's A,SRV,etc records or run the following commands:

net stop netlogon
    net start netlogon
    ipconfig /registerdns

You may want to perform an ipconfig /registerdns on other servers in the network.  Computers will re-register the next time they restart.

Certifications: MCSA 2003 MCSE 2003
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:07 PM

All replies

• Could you paste the exact error message here, or run dcdiag /f (create a log file), and upload it to a Windows Live SkyDrive and give us the address.

You copy Netdiag.exe file from Windows server 2003 to your Windows Server 2008 and give a shot. It should work fine.

I also advice you to run the MSPReports tool, so I have a good overview what's going on the server, upload the logs created by this tool also to a Windows Live SkyDrive and give us the address, so I can review it.
    Microsoft Product Support Reports

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I've uploaded the dcdiag...I'm still working on collecting the MPSR logs and copying over netdiag.

Here is the address for the dcdiag:
    http://cid-6993c69c1c702415.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:20 PM
  • After analyzing the dcdiag is noticed that it seems that the PDC Emulator role for the domain corp.tylertechnologies.com is unreachable. Could you check that the server holding the PDC Emulator role is up and running, and has no problems?

Running enterprise tests on : corp.tylertechnologies.com
          Starting test: LocatorCheck
             Warning: DcGetDcName(PDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1355
             A Primary Domain Controller could not be located.
             The server holding the PDC role is down.
             ......................... corp.tylertechnologies.com failed test

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Yes, it's up and running.  I can ping it from the server as well.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:30 PM
  • And these servers, because DCOM can't not reach it:
    DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer e4setest2.corp.tylertechnologies.com using any of the configured protocols.
    DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer fal-syscenter.corp.tylertechnologies.com using any of the configured protocols.

Please follow this guide,for troubleshooting your replication problems:
    Troubleshooting Active Directory Replication Problems

• Proposed as answer by Guido van Brakel Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lauren3335 Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:56 PM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Those servers may not exist anymore.  If they do, they are just some domain controllers in another site that shouldn't really mess up anything with my DCs.  We have a hub and spoke setup with our corporate office, so it should really only matter that we are able to communicate with them (those servers aren't at corporate). 

I uploaded the MPSR logs to the skydrive:

Thanks so much for your help!

Netdiag /fix is currently running.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:09 PM
  • I've put the netdiag results out there as well:

Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Bump
    Friday, August 07, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Sorry for replying a bit late. I reviewed your netdiag results and I found this error message:
    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
        [FATAL] Could not open file C:\Windows\system32\config\netlogon.dns for reading.
        [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Is there a DNS Server installed on your domain controller? If yes, please review the configuration with an expert very carefully, because this is vital for running the Active Directory. You could try to fix it, by trying this:
    Just rebuild the dns zone, since it's relatively easy to do.

Just delete the forward lookup zone, restart the dns server service, and recreate the zone with the same name.

Then either restart the DC to have it re-register it's A,SRV,etc records or run the following commands:

net stop netlogon
    net start netlogon
    ipconfig /registerdns

You may want to perform an ipconfig /registerdns on other servers in the network.  Computers will re-register the next time they restart.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:07 PM
  • The problem with rebuilding the zone is that there are other sites that use the same DNS...so that's not really an option for me.  I will see if I can consult an expert.  Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 3:49 PM