none
7036 - Service entered the stopped/started state Messages

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to get aquainted with my first Windows 2008 Servers and one of the things that has been annoying me is tha constant flooding of my event log with these messages.  It seems like every ten minutes I get another one... It seems the 2 main culprits are:

Windows Modules Installer
    WMI Performance Adapter

I get a start/stop message every 10 minutes from one of these services and that's a lot of junk messages in my event log.  I'd like to make them go away...

Thanks,

Jeff

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:14 PM

Answers

• hi there i would like to know the exact verbatim of the event id so that it would be easy for troubleshooting

windows modules installer is useful for your windows update service.

wmi performance adapter provides the library support for application developers.

you can safely stop / disable the wmi performance adapter service.

for windows module installer i would refer to below article for troubleshooting the service

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/2f4665ba-14ce-495f-a59c-6425a39cb553/

but please do provide the verbatim of the event id .
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• hi there i would like to know the exact verbatim of the event id so that it would be easy for troubleshooting

windows modules installer is useful for your windows update service.

wmi performance adapter provides the library support for application developers.

you can safely stop / disable the wmi performance adapter service.

for windows module installer i would refer to below article for troubleshooting the service

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasp/thread/2f4665ba-14ce-495f-a59c-6425a39cb553/

but please do provide the verbatim of the event id .
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

The full error is...

The Windows Modules Installer service entered the stopped state.   Or The Windows Modules Installer service entered the running state. 

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="16384">7036</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>4</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-13T16:05:12.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>26534</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>XXXXX06.XXXXX.local</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">Windows Modules Installer</Data>
      <Data Name="param2">running</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

...it seem like it is just cycling off and on a lot creating a lot of traffic in the log.  I'm from the school where the less messages the better but they are only informational.  It just makes it harder to spot real issues lodged between all these start stop messages. 

-Jeff
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:44 PM
  • hi jeff,

just want to know few more details

computer version , is this sbs server ?

did you had a chance to go through the link which i provided which will give clear troubleshooting of wua service.

also i feel there might be some application which is polling this service ?

is it possible to restart the server in safe mode with networking or safe mode and check the behavior ?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I was wondering if you'd come to a solution for this issue.  I too am having the same problem.  I've searched all over the internet, and this thread is the best I have found.  The only error I am getting in the event log is a 15021 HttpEvent "An error occured while using SSL configuration for socket address 0.0.0.0:4343.  The error status code is contained within the returned data."  The only things I have running on this server, other then being a domain controller/DNS/DHCP, is WSUS 3.0, and the Volume Activation Management Tool.
    Albion
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Funny as I search today about this issue - I see that I am not the only one with a 2008 server getting these msgs every ten mins. But yet I have not seen one solution yet.
    Friday, July 09, 2010 1:32 PM
  • I second what Aaron says.   Apparently the "Windows Modules Installer" service in Win2008 SP2 x86 stopping and restarting every 10 minutes is by design.  It seems sort of odd, but I have two plain vanilla W2008SP2x86 TS builds, and both exhibit the same stopping & restarting of this service every 10 minutes.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:09 PM