none
Windows 7 Backup Fails With 0x8078002A (not x64)

Question

• I have a Windows 7 machine (32-bit) and I recently switched to a WD 3TB USB drive for my backup drive. I have not been able to complete a backup yet.  Each time, I get a failure with error code 0x8078002A.  I found somewhere that I should apply hot fix KB982018 as my 3TB drive has 4096-byte sectors. I tried to apply this hot fix and was told it was already applied.  I then ran Microsoft Update and saw that Service Pack 1 was not yet installed, so I installed it.  Tried backup again with same error (backup runs for quite some time before failure).  I saw somewhere else that hotfix KB976972 might be applicable, but when I tried to apply it, I was told that the hotfix was not applicable to my machine.

So what else can I try?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

KB976972 is included in Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Since you have already installed SP1, you cannot install this hotfix.

This is a bug in Windows 7 for a hard disk with sector size greater than 512 bytes.

I queried our internal database and found a new hotfix for KB982018 will be developed. This hotfix will be included in Windows 7 Service Pack 2.

Since this hotfix has not been released yet, I am afraid that currently you have to use another USB drive as the backup drive.

Tim Quan

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

KB976972 is included in Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Since you have already installed SP1, you cannot install this hotfix.

This is a bug in Windows 7 for a hard disk with sector size greater than 512 bytes.

I queried our internal database and found a new hotfix for KB982018 will be developed. This hotfix will be included in Windows 7 Service Pack 2.

Since this hotfix has not been released yet, I am afraid that currently you have to use another USB drive as the backup drive.

Tim Quan

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Eric,

I had the same issue on a new WD 3TB drive on Win7 x64 and eventually got around it via this info from WD.  I realize your drive is from Seagate so you might want to look there.  
    I had followed the same advice you were given about the  with no change and also checked to be sure kb982018 was installed per the advice in kb251009.  It had been installed back in April but I un-installed it, rebooted, and then installed it again with the same result from Backup.
    Sure looks like MS and the drive makers are not on the same page yet.  My drive came from the local Costco.  Looks like they're not stocking any 3TB drives on costco.com, perhaps for this reason.
    Good luck!  HTH.
    Rob

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Thanks, robcohen!

The link you provided was helpful in explaining why I was having a hard time backing up my system to my Seagate GoFlex 3TB USB drive (I'm running the 32-bit version of Windows 7).  Another thing I would try is to select the "Let me choose" option when the backup wizard comes to the "What do you want to back up?" screen.  Then, when it comes time to choose which directories to back up, deselect the option to "Include a system image of drives:".  Doing this seemed to allow me to backup my data files and folders without any errors at least.  Not an ideal fix, since you won't have a system image backed up, but better than nothing.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:55 AM