none
Windows NLB ip

Question

• hi,

i would like to know for unicast NLB can the private nic be on different subnet than the cluster ip.

will the NLB work if i connect all the NICs below to the same switch?

Server 1
    -------------------------
    NIC1 (Public)
    IP 192.168.1.10
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

NIC2 (NLB)
    IP 172.16.1.11
    No Gateway, File & Print, MS Client or DNS Registration

Server 2
    NIC1 (Public)
    IP 192.168.1.12
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

NIC2 (NLB)
    IP 172.16.1.13
    No Gateway, File & Print, MS Client or DNS Registration

Cluster
    IP 192.168.1.14

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:01 AM

All replies

• I think the setup as outlined above should work. Although not required, it is recommended that you use a separate management network adapter to provide a communication path that is isolated both from the cluster adapter and from the clients.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:29 PM
  • can anyone verify this...

"...If you have multiple network cards you will still be able to load balance the 2 servers. You need to configure one NIC per server for NLB, both NIC’s should be on the same VLAN and be they should able to contact each other..."

http://www.jppinto.com/2009/05/install-and-configure-wlbs-nlb-on-windows-server-2008/

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:23 AM
  • can anyone verify this...

"...If you have multiple network cards you will still be able to load balance the 2 servers. You need to configure one NIC per server for NLB, both NIC’s should be on the same VLAN and be they should able to contact each other..."

http://www.jppinto.com/2009/05/install-and-configure-wlbs-nlb-on-windows-server-2008/

I'm not exactly sure what you want verified.  My guess is that you're confused by the "both NIC's should be on the same VLAN" portion of the statement.  I believe the author means the chosen NLB NIC from each server needs to be on the same VLAN, not both NICs on the same server need to be on the same VLAN for NLB to work.

In the comments of the article, the author clarified:

I am writing an article on Unicast VS Multicast. Until then this is my rule of thumb:

One NIC - Multicast

Two or more NICs - Unicast or Multicast

Unicast - both servers will share the SAME MAC ADDRESS, so a secondary NIC will be needed for the servers to communicate with each other

Multicast - a Virtual MAC is created so each box retains its original MAC address.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 1:09 PM