none
Hyper-V unable to assign physical DVD-drive to a Virtual Machine

Question

• Hi, I'm having trouble with assigning a physical DVD-drive to a Virtual Machine. This VM is hosted on a Hyper-V Server 2008. It is also the only Virtual Machine currently installed on the Hyper-V Server. I'm using Hyper-V manager from a Vista PC and what I'm trying to do is the following:
    When I go to my VM settings in the Hyper-V manager I add a Virtual DVD-drive to one of the IDE Controllers, I assign it to an unused location. I then want to capture a physical cd-/dvd-drive but the radio button is disabled. What I can select is the other 2 radiobuttons: None and imagefile.
    I understand that a physical drive can only be used by one VM at a time but since this is the only one running on the Hyper-V Server I can't see what the problem is here.
    Can someone help me with this problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated. If any additional information is required just ask.

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my test, you can assign a physical DVD drive to a virtual machine if you are managing the Hyper-V from a Vista computer.

Please perform the following steps to check whether the same issue persist;

1. Please remove the original virtual DVD Drive and then press Apply.

2. Please create a new DVD Drive and then assign the physical DVD drive to it.

Note: Please make sure the physical DVD Drive on you Hyper-V computer is available.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Thanks for replying Vincent.

I did remove and readd the virtual drive from the IDE controller a few times. I also tried switchen from the IDE 0 controller to the IDE 1 controller and also with different locations.
    With the same result over and over, the radiobutton to capture the physical DVD Drive being grayed-out.

I have an office dvd inserted in the physical DVD Drive. When I go to "cmd" in my Hyper-V Server I can perfectly access it.

Any other possible solutions?
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

Please login to the computer locally or use remote desktop to manage the Hyper-V to test whether the same issue continues.

In addition, you can create a ISO from the Office DVD first, and then mount it to the Virtual DVD Drive to install Office in the VM.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:15 AM
  • As a general comment, I discourage the use of physical DVD drives with virtual machines. Sometimes it is necessary and that's okay, but physical DVD drives are slow when compared to the speed of an attached iso file. IsoRecoder http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/W7.htm is a free utility for creating iso files and Folder2Iso http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Fo...load-32023.html is another one.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:49 AM