none
More than 2 concurrent administrative RDP connections to Windows Server 2008?

Question

• I need more than 2 concurrent administrators to be able to connect to Windows Server 2008. The common answer seems to be to install the Terminal Services role and enable Terminal Server mode. However, I don't need to serve single applications or private desktops. I simply need more than 2 administrators to concurrently connect and perform various tasks. Will Terminal Server mode allow me to do this? I have plenty of CALs, so that's not an issue.

Some say it's advisable to wipe-out an existing server and reinstall everything if one wants to install Terminal Services and enable Terminal Server mode. Is this true if all you ever want to do is allow > 2 concurrent *administrative* sessions? Or is this advice only relevant when you want to publish out single apps or private, isolated desktops from a server?

Also, does being in Terminal Server mode preclude the possibility of administrative RDP connections? Hoping these aren't mutually exclusive functionalities.

Thanks.

Dana

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Dana,

When you want users accessing the server by RDP to be able to run the applications you install then it is advisable to use the Add/Remove Programs feature in Control Panel or use the cmd Change User /Install. If you only use RDP to administer the machines it is not necessary.

Regards Robert

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:53 AM
  •  

For more information what happens when you change user /install or /execute look at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186498/en-us

• Marked as answer by Dana N Monday, May 24, 2010 6:13 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:31 PM
  • WHen yuo are installing an application in TS Install Mode it creates registry keys and necessary folders for All users. It is something like when you are installing an application and choosing who can run that program "Me Only" or "Any User".
    сила в справедливости
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you need more than 2 connections you need to instal Terminal Services role and you need TS licensing with the licenses installed.Also you have to make sure that each user is not restricted to a single session.

You do not need to wipe your server in order to install TS role.

сила в справедливости
    • Proposed as answer by Robert Maijen Friday, May 21, 2010 10:53 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

If you need more than 2 connections you need to instal Terminal Services role and you need TS licensing with the licenses installed.Also you have to make sure that each user is not restricted to a single session.

You do not need to wipe your server in order to install TS role.

сила в справедливости

Thanks Kudrat. We have TS licensing. My systems, unfortunately, have already been wiped. What about installing apps? I've been asked to use the applet "Install application on Terminal Server" or the command line "change user /install" before installing any apps. Does this make sense to you for installing server apps? I don't have any apps that I want to publish to users. If I want to install a database, for example, do I need to use the applet or execute a "change user /install?" Is there something now "magic" about the server in that every application installed from this point forward needs to be performed in a special way?

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Hello Dana,

When you want users accessing the server by RDP to be able to run the applications you install then it is advisable to use the Add/Remove Programs feature in Control Panel or use the cmd Change User /Install. If you only use RDP to administer the machines it is not necessary.

Regards Robert

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Hello Dana,

Regards Robert

Thanks for the response Robert. I'm not sure I understand you. Let me clarify with an example:

Suppose I have the server up and running in Terminal Server mode. Then I need to install additional software such as a database and database management tools. What happens with the database and management tools if I don't install them using something like "change user /install"? Will the database run but not the management tools?

I don't want to destabilize the server. Before, I had everything I wanted with the exception of allowing a 3rd concurrent administrator to RDP to the box. I have read that software installed on a Terminal Server can behave strangely and that concerns me.

Could you provide a few examples? I'm struggling to understand the difference between RDPing to a server as an admin, installing software, and running that software as an admin before the Terminal Services role is installed and how future software should be installed and run after the Terminal Services role is installed. What is different?

It seems very odd to me that allowing a 3rd admin to get on a box concurrently would trigger a completely different way of installing apps via RDP. In the example I gave, if I don't use the special TS way of installing software, would the database run but the management tools not run when RDPing into the server?

Friday, May 21, 2010 11:40 AM
  •  

For more information what happens when you change user /install or /execute look at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186498/en-us

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:31 PM
  • WHen yuo are installing an application in TS Install Mode it creates registry keys and necessary folders for All users. It is something like when you are installing an application and choosing who can run that program "Me Only" or "Any User".
    сила в справедливости
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Thanks to all of you for the helpful replies.

Gregor, the link you posted was very helpful in describing the difference between /install ("User-global" install mode) and /execute ("User-specific" install mode).

I also learned from another source that one may have up to 3 RDP connections with installing the Terminal Services role; however, one of those three must be a "console" connection, using /admin or /console. I had read that bit before. But when I saw the term "console", I literally thought one must be directly connected to the server.

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:18 PM