none
windows could not connect to the group policy client service

Question

• I know this forum has similar questions, but none of them have answered my problem so far.

Case:

My parents have moved to a new place, so they received a new modem with build-in wi-fi.

I had an old Gigabyte wi-fi-adapter, so I mounted it, and after some trouble I had the right drivers,

and the connection to the modem was established.

Their computer is encrypted, so on boot you have to enter a password to access the drive, and then Windows 7 Home x64 will automatically boot

into the desktop since there's only one administrator account on the PC.

The error pop-up is "windows could not connect to the group policy client service", and in event viewer I can see two errors.

First error Screenshot:

dl.dropbox.com/u/19374914/error1.jpg

Second error Screenshot:

dl.dropbox.com/u/19374914/error2.jpg

Hope someone has a qualified guess.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, the issue should be not a group policy issue but should be caused by the Group policy client service is stopped, you can try to restart it manually.

If it does not work, maybe we could refer to the following links:

Windows connect the group policy client:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/why-wont-windows-connect-to-the-group-policy/b73107f8-8447-4599-87a5-65ecc6a63aa0

About event ID 7000:

http://kb.prismmicrosys.com/evtpass/evtpages/EventId_7000_ServiceControlManager_44391.asp

In addition, i suggest that you can post the problem in the Windows 7 forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Hope this help!

Regards

Vivian Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:28 AM
  • I FOUND SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!

I had this issue on my laptop since November, and it really bugged me.  I sifted through the event log and found the pattern of events that preceded the issue, and, probably, caused it.

In short, the pattern is as follows: Windows updates run automatically as scheduled, and when reboot is initiated after the updates are finished, the computer crashes (probably during reboot sequence).  When it boots up, it reports that the last shutdown was unexpected, and the issue begins to occur.

I spent 2 days trying to dig out a solution from the Internet, to no avail, until I came across this page.  It doesn't say anything about this particular problem, but it gives more information about SVCHOST process that starts many services, including Group Policy Client.  It looks like during reboot a vital registry settings were lost during the crash and Group Policy Client simply "doesn't know" how to start.  Let me explain:

There are two places to look in the registry:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services this path should contain gpsvc key (a folder), which is responsible for service parameters and configuration.  I found that the key was intact, so, you do not touch anything here - just check that the key exists.
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST This is the most important path you should look into, as it must contain the keys and values referred in the key #1.  Below are descriptions what must be present there.
    • There must be Multi-String value called GPSvcGroup. My laptop was missing it.  So, you should create multi-string value named GPSvcGroup and assign it value GPSvc.
    • Next, you must create a key (a folder) and name it GPSvcGroup - this key normally should be there, but, again, it was missin on my laptop.
    • Then open newly-created GPSvcGroup folder and create 2 DWORD values:
    1. First called AuthenticationCapabilities and you must give it a value of 0x00003020 (or 12320 in decimal)
    2. Second is called CoInitializeSecurityParam and it must have value of 1.

Once you complete all steps above, reboot the computer and the problem will be fixed.

Here is the link to the video walkthrough if you have any troubles understanding what has to be done: http://youtu.be/4m5KEmckWK4

I am so relieved I was able to fix it, and hope this will help others with the similar issue.

• Proposed as answer by SQL-ER Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:22 AM
    • Edited by SQL-ER Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:50 AM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:16 AM
  • Spot on with this answer. Thank you!
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Thank you good sir, that fixed the issue!!!!
    Monday, July 22, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Great research!  Was banging my head against the wall until now...  Thanks you!
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:12 PM
  • So how do you explain a completely error free machine, with no GP popups, doesn't have any of those entries in the registry?

• Edited by Napa PC Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:53 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Thank you so much for this!! Have never commented before but felt compelled to sign in to say thanks, as I too had been scouring the internet for solution. Your video was super simple and well put together. You are a gentleman and a scholar, be well!
    Monday, September 16, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Send this to Microsoft, may be they will be able to explain. I can't.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Fixed it for me.  Thanks!
    Sunday, December 01, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Thanks !!!!
    Friday, August 01, 2014 12:52 AM