none
Windows Server 2008 R2 - Remote Desktop - username and password incorrect

Question

• It's a remote desktop server. No LAN pc connected. Only uses over the internet.

Remote desktop role and active directory installed.

Windows 7, Vista and some XP machines connect without a problem.

Loading an xp pc from scratch with sp3, connects without a problem.

But some xp pc's connect to the server, but when you type the username and password the server says it's incorrect.

I've tried

profin\test

profin.co.za\test

Tried connecting without a username and password sothat the server prompts mer for the details. Still no joy.

I've installed the latest RDP software as well.

My home pc with xp home edition, legal and fully updated also does not connect.

Any ideas and thatk you foir any help.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suspect the NLA settings. On XP SP3 you have to enable CredSSP to be able to connect to RDSH which only accepts secure (NLA) connections. Try to apply the follwoing on your new XP box:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 London” November 2011, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Hi there, thanks for the help so far.

I did try it, stil nogo.

NLA is not switched on on the server, that I know of, because a lot of clients still runs xp sp2. Also I noticed this morning, logging in as an administrator account from xp does log in. But the normal remote desktop user does not. But from vista or Win 7 theres no problem.

Note that the users created on the server is as follows:

Users group added to remote desktop group.

Each user is only part of the users group. The software that the RD users wil be using requires a custom ini file for each user, in the windows folder.

At the moment the user can't login locally on the server. I have to make the user an administrator, switch to the new user so that the profile folder is created with the first login. Log off, back to admin account and remove the user from the administrators group. Then I'm ready to copy the custom ini file to the new user's, windows folder in the users profile folder.

Maybe there's something I'm missing and hpe that helps.

• Edited by DeHARcO Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Fixed me, thanks a lot!
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:18 PM