none
Problem with Windows Server Backup 2008 R2 with Advanced Format (4K) drive.

Question

• I'm trying to use an Advanced Format drive (4K sectors) with Server 2008 R2 Backup.

If I format the drive using Disk Management as normal. Windows will create a partition on the drive that is 4K aligned, and all is well. I can verify that the partition is aligned by running Acronis WD Align.

I then set up a scheduled backup in Windows Server Backup 2008 R2 and specify that I want to use the drive for backups only. Windows Backup then re-formats the drive for it's use. However after checking with Acronis WD Align the new partition that Windows Backup has created is NOT aligned on a 4K boundry. This causes performance problems.

If I use Acronis WD Align to re-align the partition correctly; Windows Backup will no longer recognise the drive as a valid backup destination.

Is there anything I can do to force Windows Backup to create a 4K aligned partition, or is my only option to buy new drives that use 512 byte sectors?

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:03 PM

Answers

• I would also like to add a solution that I found that has worked for my 3TB WD Elements drive. Out of the box this drive did not work with Windows backup at all. WD support actually came through for me on this issue and pointed me to the following solution:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6618/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxMzUzNzc5My9zaWQvT1hrMSpJQms%3D

Basically it consists of formatting the drive with their external drive formatting utility in "Factory Default" mode rather than XP-Compatible mode which (ironically) is how the drive ships. After performing the format, the drive works fine with Windows backup in both Windows 7 and Windows Server, but is incompatible with Windows XP. In my case, this is an acceptable compromise.

This is how the drive appeared out of the box:

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo H:
    Bytes Per Sector  :               4096
    Bytes Per Physical Sector :       <Not Supported>
    Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
    Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 4096

This is how the drive appeared after the "Factory Default" format:

Bytes Per Sector  :               512
    Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 1024

Finally, I should point out that this utility will probably not work for drives from manufacturers other than Western Digital as it scans for WD drives specifically on launch and is likely working directly with their drives' firmware. That said, I do believe this should cover all WD drives 2.5TB and larger to correct this issue.

• Proposed as answer by CoreM Friday, August 19, 2011 5:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Powelly31 Friday, August 19, 2011 8:09 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hello,

Hard disks with 4k sector size are not supported by Windows Server Backup. It supports 512 sector sized disks. To use high capacity disks you can use 512e (512 emulated) disks instead. Here the physical sector size is 4k but the logical sector size reported to Windows is 512. There are performance impact though in the conversion between 512 to 4k.

Regards,
    Vikas Ranjan
    ------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Hard disks with 4k sector size are not supported by Windows Server Backup. It supports 512 sector sized disks. To use high capacity disks you can use 512e (512 emulated) disks instead. Here the physical sector size is 4k but the logical sector size reported to Windows is 512. There are performance impact though in the conversion between 512 to 4k.

Regards,
    Vikas Ranjan
    ------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:32 PM
  • How can I convert a 4k AF drive to use 512e? Is there some type of utility provided by MS to do this?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:35 PM
  • I'm curious of KB982018 resolves this issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018)?  This Recommended Update just installed on my system yesterday, and the details on it show that it seems to address many of the compatibility issues Win7/2008/2008R2 had with Advanced Format and Advanced Format via USB.

So were the limitations for the TARGET disk with Windows Backup a system level issue or would there be issues with the program itself that remain?  I am just installing a new SBS 2011 server at an office and I want to use 3 TB USB 3.0 disks for the backup target.  I hope it can work now or very soon!

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I did this hotfix on our hyperv 2008r2 server to support our new wd essentials 3tb external drive

however it doesnt seem to have fixed the issue

did you have any luck?

im installing sp1 to see if that will help

if i dont get this working soon i will be taking the HD back and getting something else

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:14 AM
  • SP1 didnt help

also the

fsinfo command shows not supported for phyical sector size still

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo f:
    NTFS Volume Serial Number :       0x4660044760044063
    Version :                         3.1
    Number Sectors :                  0x000000002baa091f
    Total Clusters :                  0x000000002baa091f
    Free Clusters  :                  0x000000002ba93347
    Total Reserved :                  0x0000000000000000
    Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 1
    Mft Valid Data Length :           0x0000000000100000
    Mft Start Lcn  :                  0x00000000000c0000
    Mft2 Start Lcn :                  0x0000000000000002
    Mft Zone Start :                  0x00000000000c0000
    Mft Zone End   :                  0x00000000000cc820
    RM Identifier:        D2137F73-75E9-11E0-B600-003048F01A57

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:05 AM
  • I just picked up a WD 3 TB External at Costco.  The 3 TB was on sale for only $5 more than the 2 TB model!

Well it looks like it's going back.  Windows will not image to the drive.  I tried GPT partitions and MBR partitions, at and well below 2 TB and it always fails.

AndrewITECH: I didn't get the same error as you.  My server did properly report 4096 for the Bytes Per Physical Sector.  The server I have is MS SBS 2011 Std, which is 2008R2 with Exchange, WSUS and SharePoint added in.

Friday, May 06, 2011 3:51 AM
  • I'm getting the same error I have a WDC 3TB USB 3.0 drive which I just purchasad. This does support Advanced format 4K sector and should be supported by Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Microsoft just realeased a hot fix to resolve advanced fromat disk drive issues (4096 hard sectors). I'm trying it now, but thought I'd give folks a heads up. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018. Unfornately, the KB hotfix didn't help, but does indicate Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 now supports advanced format but only for 512 byte emulation (512e) on top of 4096. Native 4096 is still not supported, but Msft is investigating per KB article.

Related thread here on Technet forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/5d9e2f23-ee70-4d41-8bfc-c9c4068ee4e2

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MW61

Friday, May 20, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Sent back teh WDC myBook Essential 3TB USB 3.0 drive for a refund. Going to try Seagate's 3TB Freeagent GoFlex as it appears to automatically adjust to 512e. Hopefully this resolves the problem. It'd be best if Msft supported native 4096 sectors as its the best performing.

Thanks, 

MW61
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:18 AM
  • I have the 3TB GoFlex USB 3/2 drive and am trying to use it with Windows Backup to back up a Windows 7 Ultimate system running on an iMac (that means GPT partitioned disks and EFI boot, not BIOS).

The backup works fine going to a 2TB Western Digital Basics drive -- although it takes 18 hours to image a disk containing 1.2TB of data.   It doesn't work at all going to the 3TB GoFlex -- either using USB 2 or Firewire 800.   When used directly by Windows for file storage, the GoFlex 3TB drive works fine with either interface.  I'm using FW800 mostly because it's faster than USB and the stupid iMac doesn't have USB3 or E-SATA (other than the numpad-less wireless keyboard, it's a great Windows machine ever other way).

So I guess we'll all be skating on thin ice until Microsoft fixes Windows backup.  BTW, I tried Acronis 2011 as well, including the extra cost "plus" add-on that supports GPT partitions and it still won't back up my system, probably because of the EFI BIOS or the unrecognized OSX partition.  So that's kind of useless as well.

--- Uwe

--- Uwe
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:53 AM
  • I have tried two Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3 TB USB 2.0 drives and they are not working with Windows Server Backup on SBS 2011 (based on Server 2008 R2 SP1).

KB982018 ist not fixing this problem.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:33 PM
  • To provide more details:

Backup stores the data in VHD format. This VHD format is not supported on 4k sector size disks therefore backup won't work. As suggested earlier, please use 512/512 emulated disks for storing Windows backup.

Regards,
    Vikas Ranjan
    ------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties-------

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:02 AM
  • I'm also experiencing the same Windows Server Backup issue with a 3TB WD Elements external hard drive that reports the following despite instaling KB982018:

I did contact WD and they seem completely uninterested in providing a list of 3TB drives that are either 512k sector sizes or support emulation. I don't even know if WD even make such a drive in 3TB sizes.

So now customers are stuck with what is by now current-gen hardware that has no support from Microsoft, which I'm certain full well knows that sector sizes are effectively never made available by the hardware manufacturers. Nor does there seem to be any comprehensive hardware compatibility list.

I can't reasonably imagine that it's technologically infeasible for the software to support 4k sector sizes so I can only surmise that Microsoft is intentionally turning a blind eye on this issue.

So as a result of this, I'm going to be stuck trying to find a new 3TB drive that supports emulation in order to back up my 3TB RAID5 array to replace my brand new 3TB drive that doesn't work. The other alternative is Acronis backup software which unfortunately costs over $800 for server software. Truthfully there are really no excuses for this!

• Unproposed as answer by CoreM Friday, August 19, 2011 5:28 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:09 AM
  • I would like to add to this thread after I have spent many many man hours researching this issue and working with Hard Drive vendors to find out what is going on.

This problem not only affects Server backup but Windows 7 Client backups as well. Bottom line is that System Image backups will not run and the backups fail(by the way a System Image is included by default in all Winodws 7 backups). After scouring the KB and Internet I have found that Microsoft has known this has been comming for almost 3 Years now. All new drives from most manufacturers are being shipped with 4K sectors. This includes 500GB USB drives and they cannot be changed to 512K or 512e to work. I worked with Paragon Software and it cannot be done. Here is KB Article about Microsfts "position":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009

Here is what is happening Microsoft:

Regualr (non-IT) People are buyuing new computers and buying an external USB drive to run backups. It fails. They return the drive thinking it is defective. They get another drive and it fails. They return the computer and buy a MAC and use Time Machine with any USB Drive.

I tried to call Partner Tech Support for this and explain and they wanted to charge me for a Support Call. The Storage vendors told me Microsft has to update the Backup Software.

I understand I am a small Fish in the pond however someone needs to wake up and FIX this Backup Issue.

Untill then we will need to buy 3rd Party apps that will work with the 4K drives that are now being shipped as Standard.

Microsoft you knew this was comming.

Rich
    • Proposed as answer by CoreM Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CoreM Friday, August 19, 2011 5:28 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I would also like to add a solution that I found that has worked for my 3TB WD Elements drive. Out of the box this drive did not work with Windows backup at all. WD support actually came through for me on this issue and pointed me to the following solution:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6618/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxMzUzNzc5My9zaWQvT1hrMSpJQms%3D

Basically it consists of formatting the drive with their external drive formatting utility in "Factory Default" mode rather than XP-Compatible mode which (ironically) is how the drive ships. After performing the format, the drive works fine with Windows backup in both Windows 7 and Windows Server, but is incompatible with Windows XP. In my case, this is an acceptable compromise.

Finally, I should point out that this utility will probably not work for drives from manufacturers other than Western Digital as it scans for WD drives specifically on launch and is likely working directly with their drives' firmware. That said, I do believe this should cover all WD drives 2.5TB and larger to correct this issue.

• Marked as answer by Powelly31 Friday, August 19, 2011 8:09 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

We have enabled 4k Sector size Disk support in Windows 8 backup solution. In Win8 Server you can take backup to > 2 TB disks with 4k sector size.

Win8 Server Developer Preview is available at MSDN here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/ 

We would like to hear from end users about their experience.

Note: This is not a promotional request. Please reply back if you face any issues in using 4k Sector size disks with Win8 Server backup. This is also applicable for System Image Backup in Win8 Client OS.

Regards,

Vikas Ranjan

------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties------------

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Thanks this appears to be working for me.  I reformatted with "Factory Default" and the backup has been humming along for a while now.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Are there any plans to add 4K sector support to Windows Server 2008 R2?

Thanks,

MW61
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:55 PM
  • This doesn't help help my company that just bought SBS 2011 three weeks ago.

Microsoft knew this was coming? Microsoft held the first summit to discuss the new size in June of 2005!!!

I've read in a lot of places that I should use a disk 2.5 times the size I'm trying to backup. I have a 3 disk RAID 5 system that has 1 TB of space. That means I need at least a 2.5 TB hard drive. Nobody sells one that supports the prehistoric 512 sector size.

How am I supposed to backup my NEW system? If the backup program was something they were selling individually, they would've fixed it years ago. Since it's just another asterisk on their product description page and nobody knows it doesn't work until after they've spent their money, I guess "why bother fixing it", huh?

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:02 PM
  • I've been having the same issue (Error 0x8078002a) with windows 7 ultimate. 

Just bought 3 2TB WD Caviar Black (sata 6G) drives for my backup server, installed them in the new machine, created the array (raid 5), and now have a 3.9GB array.  I format the drive according to the mfg instructions and viola!  Working drive right?  WRONG.

I now find out that I cannot utilize windows backup on my backup server.  It fails both locally (backing up the C drive of the backup server) and remotely (backing up a client PC).  Same error at about the same point in the process (50%)

I've also been having problems with my 2008 R2 webservers backing (completely different windows backup problem, don't get me started).   All I can say is that I am occasionally successful backing up the servers.  I was dreaming that I could use my new, you know, backup server to backup my servers....   Nope.  Seems to be a theme lately.

Backup is SO critical, and it's freaking me out every day.  Any solutions???  Please!!!!!  HELP!!!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:05 AM
  • What's the Error message that you are seeing ?

Can you Diagnose your problem with the steps listed here and reply back with your findings.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692290(WS.10).aspx

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Windows Server Backup won't backup anything over 2 TB, which leaves slicing the RAID or buying a real backup program.  Barracuda's Yosemite is $1500 and covers all servers in your environment... just sayin.. 

I'm a bit pissed I can't backup to a 3 TB external though... guess the 4 TB I was getting will be on the shelf till I get my RHEL box up...

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Vikas - any idea when SBS 2011 will support 4K? 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:48 PM
  • As I know,

SBS 2011 is based on Windows 2008 R2 Server. Backup uses VHD (Virtual hard disk) format to store the data. The 4k Sector support is not available for VHD in Windows 2008 & R2 (VHD cannot be created on 4k sector size disks). Hence backup cannot provide support for 4k disks.

In Windows 8, a new VHDX format is created that supports > 2 TB data storage and 4k sector disks. Therefore only in Win8 the backup is supporting 4k sector disks.

When the Win8 based SBS systems will be launched then you can expect support for 4k.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Vikas, 

This is a ridiculous answer coming from MSFT. Windows 7 is your CURRENT operating system on the market and the backup software doesn't support some of the most common USB hard drives on the market that are being sold and used primarily for backups?!?!  And all you can promise customers is that it will be fixed in Windows 8 which we have no idea when that will be released? 

Updating the backup software via a KB Hotfix would be the more appropriate response here.. Not telling us customers that we can't backup our CURRENT machines using the currently available and most common hardware on the market.

EPIC FAIL...   :-( 

Please forward this message to the Windows team or whatever team maintains windows backup. This is one of those times when the company needs to take a better path to supporting customers to compete against the likes of Apple.  Just sayin' ... 

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:56 AM
  • This is rediculous, many people now are using Enterprise NAS for smb cloud and storage, and windows backup can't to supported networ files system. Has there been any more updates for this since the hotfix ?

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:48 AM

YES! this fixed my problem. thanks man for sharing!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi vikas,

I have a segate goflex desk 3TB.it is not working with windows 2008 server.

How do we convert to 512e (512 emulated) disk

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:19 AM
  • According to the following Technet Wiki article, your external drive is not compatible to Windows Server Backup feature:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.external-backup-drives-compatibility-list.aspx

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Vikas Ranjan -

What I find so strange about this: I have been doing image backups from an WinServ2K8R2 onto a remote disk mounted on a WinServ 2K3 machine for 1.5 years. That disk is an external Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3TB. The VHDs are stored on the disk without issues. However, if I attach the drive via USB directly to the WinServ 28KR2 machine then image backup will not  work. Incredible. there are quite a few other words I have for this ridiculous situation but this is a public forum. Pathetic might be an acceptable word for this forum. 

When I found this forum thread I was stunned. Image backup does not support drives with Advanced Format 4K sectors. Incredible. To be taken seriously as an enterprise level product how is it that Microsoft has not fixed this glaring omission/oversight.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Vikas,

Ditto - What glahens said. I am going to spread this knowledge far and wide now that I know.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hello,

Regards,
    Vikas Ranjan

Who slapped this shoddy piece of software together?
    Sunday, June 03, 2012 6:31 PM
  • The SeaGate GoFlex 3TB USB 3.0 will give you the exact same problem, looks like there is no way of changing the format to 512 or 512e sectors to be compatible with Windows backup.   

Windows 7 x64 backup and create system image will fail with error ( 0x8007045D ) and  ( 0x8078002A ).

I have no problem at all with FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB which shows bytes per sector 512.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo N:
    NTFS Volume Serial Number :       0x42d0a786d0a77f33
    Number Sectors :                  0x00000000747059c0
    Total Clusters :                  0x000000000e8e0b38
    Free Clusters  :                  0x000000000d2d181b
    Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0
    Mft Valid Data Length :           0x0000000002d80000
    Mft2 Start Lcn :                  0x0000000000000002
    Mft Zone Start :                  0x000000000155d720
    Mft Zone End   :                  0x0000000001569f40
    RM Identifier:        52970133-D1D0-11E1-9215-8C89A500BE75

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:16 AM
  • The only answer that I'm looking for is when will the Windows Server Backup software support the new 4k drives?

Is there developmend in the pipeline to sort this issue out?  Getting 512e drives is impossible for me now.

Anyone know the answer?

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:34 AM
  • In the context of Inbox Backup software -

Win2k8/R2 based Systems will not have the 4k drive support. Win 2012 Server backup provides support for 4k drives.

Monday, September 24, 2012 11:09 AM
  • I would also like to add this too... I have bought a Western Digital "My Passport" 1TB USB3.0 2.5" to use Hyper-V under Windows 2008 R2 on my laptop, and my VM's starts fine !

The P/N of the Disk is "WDBBEP0010BBK-01" and the model is "WDBBEP0010BBK-EESN"

This is the fsutil result:

NTFS Volume Serial Number :       0x4e1aea7b1aea6007
    Number Sectors :                  0x00000000746f5fff
    Total Clusters :                  0x000000000e8debff
    Free Clusters  :                  0x000000000e00847e
    Bytes Per Physical Sector :       4096
    Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0
    Mft Valid Data Length :           0x0000000000040000
    Mft2 Start Lcn :                  0x000000000746f5ff
    Mft Zone Start :                  0x00000000000c0040
    Mft Zone End   :                  0x00000000000cc840
    RM Identifier:        E5E04180-F303-11E1-8AF5-F46D04D2D6DB

The Disk drive was not formatted with the WD Quickformater tool.

Thanks you CoreM, you saved me !

Regards,

Marc

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:02 PM
  • This solution seems to have worked for me with a WD 3TB My Book External Drive.

Download and used the WD Drive Formatter to format the drive to "Most Compatible (Vista or later required)" 

This changed the sectors to 512K on the drive.  I then change the backup setting from the SBS Console to add a new Drive Destination. It looks like this did the trick because the backup has not caused an error and is writing data to the drive.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:11 PM
  • To get Windows 7 to Backup Data on a Device greater than 2,2TB following steps worked for me:

First, get the update for Windows 7 as discribed above. (It should already be on a frequently updated System)

Second, make sure that you have the latest BIOS update of your Mainboard

Third, if you have an Intel chipset you need the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver to v10.5.0.1026 or higher for full HDD support.

After doing that with my P7P55D Mainboard the normal Backup seems to work.

The systembackup still won't though. Still working on it. :)

Regards

Fritjof

Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:54 PM
  • I am also amazed at this.  I have a new 3TB Seagate Backup Plus USB3 on a windows server 2008 R2 enterprise, I usually hate third party software, and so immediately formatted the drive to prepare it for Windows Server Backup, as I have done for all my other backup drives (though smaller and a different vendor).

Windows backup fails to write to the disk, after setting up the schedule.  Incredibly Seagate won't acknowledge that there's an issue.  Their trouble shooting solution was "well, if you can drag files to the disk then the disk is fine."

But as you know, once you set up a disk for Windows Backup it is not visible in the UI of the OS.  Dumb answer.

I suppose MS is forcing us to update to a new server os.  I'm going to have to go back to smaller disks I guess.  unbelievable.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Ditto here to johnarmentrout. Even the same product. Seagate says to contact MS. MS says contact Seagate. Copies are OK, but backups don't work. Both of these companies are....
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:11 AM