none
Hyper-V remote management console

Question

• Host server: Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V installed (already joined the domain)
    DCs: Windows Server 2008 R2 (VMs of the Hyper-V host server)
    Remote management computer: Windows 7 32bit with RSAT installed (already joined the domain)
    Remote management user: A memeber of Domain Admins and logged on the remote management computer

I added my Hyper-V host server in the Hyper-V Manager console in RSAT on my remote management computer. I could manage the Hyper-V host server such as Hyper-V Settings and Virtual Network Manager. But I could not see or manage the VMs. The system told me No virtual machines were found on this server. I believe there are several VMs on my Hyper-V host server. And the Windows Firewall on both Hyper-V host server and remote management computer was diabled.

• Edited by 高麻雀 Monday, November 12, 2012 3:12 AM
    Friday, November 09, 2012 3:37 AM

All replies

• When I tried to create a VM in RSAT from my remote management computer, the New Vritual Machine Wizard told me failure. But I checked the virtual disk was already created successfully, however, the XML configuration file was not created. Then I tried to Use an existing virtual hard disk created just now, then the VM was created successfully. However, this VM test6 was still not able to be seen in RSAT.

• Edited by 高麻雀 Friday, November 09, 2012 4:10 AM
    Friday, November 09, 2012 3:46 AM
  • Version information from my RSAT

• Edited by 高麻雀 Friday, November 09, 2012 4:17 AM
    Friday, November 09, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

Hyper-V does a lot of operations using local service accounts on the Hyper-V computer.  So the Windows 7 computer account should has proper permission on the Hyper-V host server.

Check that or add its account to “Administrators” group in the Hyper-V host server.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Exporting Hyper-V VMs Over the Network
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/enterprise_admin/archive/2009/11/02/exporting-hyper-v-vms-over-the-network.aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your reply. However, after I joined the Windows 7 computer account to the local Administrators group of Hyper-V host. The same problem, not fixed yet.

Thanks,
    高麻雀

Screenshot1: Membership of local Administrators group on Hyper-V host

Screenshot 2: The hostname of Windows 7 computer

• Edited by 高麻雀 Friday, November 16, 2012 5:58 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Would someone help me please? Thanks very much!

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 1:33 PM
  • konbanwa

can you go trough this and see if it helps ? 

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote

arigatou

------------------------------------------------------- I understand a little computers.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi Arigatou,

Thanks for your reply. However, this HVRemote tool is not a native solution from Microsoft, but a workaroud from 3rd party. I checked the author of this script said,

10th Sept 2012 - Coming very soon in version 1.x, currently completing testing. It is not recommended you use version 0.7 on these operating systems and it may leave your system misconfigured.

I believe Microsoft has its own solution for Hyper-V remote management. Otherwise it will not offer the Hyper-V Manager component in RSAT. I want to know the root cause and the native solution.

Thanks,
    高麻雀

• Edited by 高麻雀 Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Do all functions work from the Hyper-V console on the Hyper-V host when using the account that you are using on the Windows 7 platform?  Just starting at the beginning for troubleshooting to ensure the environment you are trying to manage is working as it should.  The reason this question popped into my head was in your first post you stated "I believe there are several VMs on my Hyper-V host server".  You didn't state that you know for a fact there are VMs there.

Secondly, you say you are using Windows Server 2008 R2.  Have you applied SP1 and all the latest patches?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Do all functions work from the Hyper-V console on the Hyper-V host when using the account that you are using on the Windows 7 platform?  Just starting at the beginning for troubleshooting to ensure the environment you are trying to manage is working as it should.  The reason this question popped into my head was in your first post you stated "I believe there are several VMs on my Hyper-V host server".  You didn't state that you know for a fact there are VMs there.

Secondly, you say you are using Windows Server 2008 R2.  Have you applied SP1 and all the latest patches?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Hi Tim,

First of all, thanks very muh for your quick and detailed reply!

1. Do all functions work from the Hyper-V console on the Hyper-V host when using the account that you are using on the Windows 7 platform?
      Yes.
    2. The reason this question popped into my head was in your first post you stated "I believe there are several VMs on my Hyper-V host server".  You didn't state that you know for a fact there are VMs there.
      I had set up several VMs on the Hyper-V host server through the console/RDP of the Hyper-V host server, whose OS is Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. But I was/am not able to manage these VMs through the Hype-V Manager component in RSAT.
    3. Secondly, you say you are using Windows Server 2008 R2.  Have you applied SP1 and all the latest patches?
      I didn't install the SP1 of Windows Server 2008 R2 becuase our information security department didn't approve it. Maybe SP1 didn't pass the compatibility or security test in our company. However, we installed almost all other patches that are up to date.

Thanks,
    高麻雀

• Edited by 高麻雀 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:48 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Now I have installed the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 on one of our Hyper-V host servers. However, the issue still exists.

One more important thing I forgot to mention, we changed a lot of settings in Local Security Policy - Local Policies, like User Right Assignment and Security Options, as the server hardening requirement from our information security department. I'm assuming there might be some settings where we modified the default values cause this issue. However, there are a lot of settings in Local Policies, I don't which one impact the remote management for Hyper-V Manager in RSAT.

Regards,
    高麻雀

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:21 AM
  • This issue has troubled me for long time. Would anyone give a hand please?

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Hi 高麻雀,
    please check  John Howard's Blog in where he is proposing a great Tool
    to Configure Hyper-v-remote-management in seconds .
    Same article, proposed as a wiki HERE

All you need is to look into this link as the latest version
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote

In addition to that great tool/method, I think that it is
    useful also to read his article where he demonstrates
    all the steps to do this operation MANUALLY - this helps understand what components are envolved in authorizing remote MMCs .... Here

I hope this would help you.

MCTS Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration
    If you find my answer helpful, please click 'Propose as answer'.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 12:58 PM