none
WIN Server 2008 R2 std - when instal remote desktop sesion host (terminal server) local printer don't work on server, when remove DSH it works great??

Question

• Win 2008 r2 standard - 2 remote users normaly connect to server, use aplication instal on the server, print normaly by redirected printers that are localy connect on their pc. We bought addicionally 9 remote CALs , device CALs not users, and when add role remote desktop sesion host is on the server all 9 users can connect but they can't print!

??

Thanks!

Friday, December 10, 2010 11:42 AM

Answers

• Yesterday they told me to instal updates , 10 new one. So i did that. Then i instal rdsh again and the printers start working. So my gues is some bug, or incopatibile drivers. I'm happy that it's working, that is good for me and for our company.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There could be multiple causes, Printer redirection can be disabled in a number of different places. This blog describes them http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/08/24/terminal-server-and-printer-redirection.aspx

(see section Scenario 1: Printer Redirection fails for all clients).

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://microsoftplatform.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Win 2008 r2 standard - 2 remote users normaly connect to server, use aplication instal on the server, print normaly by redirected printers that are localy connect on their pc. We bought addicionally 9 remote CALs , device CALs not users, and when add role remote desktop sesion host is on the server all 9 users can connect but they can't print!

To add, when we remove remote desktop session host it works ok again.

??

Thanks!

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Did you see my reply? The blog I pasted is about Win 2003, but the settings are practicly the same.

In short, please check if;
    - printer redirection is enabled on the RDP-tcp properties
    - there is no GPO that block printer redirection
    - printer redirection is enabled on the client (which I asume it is because you state that with Remote Admin it works)

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for link....i will go throu all this options on sunday when i can restart the server. I even talk to Microsoft profesional service for 3 hours on the phone and they didn't find the solution.

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Nothing for now.....we try again and easy print didn't helped. Microsoft servise call me again and we try to fix my problem for two hour but nothing. If somebody have any idea please help, because we are at dead end with this. The hole firm is loosing orders and buyers because of this problem!!!

Thanks!!!!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Just to get things clear, the issue is that de redirected printers don't show up right?
    Does the eventlog state anything at the time of logon?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Printers are redirected, it works fine with 2 remote users(it is by default )but after instaling remote service desktop host for additional CALs, and rebooting server users can not print. Printers are redirected, all is just fine, but if you want to print nothing happend. I config user group policy for easy print driver, nothing help.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hi!

The microsoft guys from Germany solved my problem! Thans you all for help!

Frek Berson, thank you!

By

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Good to hear! What was the solution in this case?
    Monday, December 20, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Yesterday they told me to instal updates , 10 new one. So i did that. Then i instal rdsh again and the printers start working. So my gues is some bug, or incopatibile drivers. I'm happy that it's working, that is good for me and for our company.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:08 AM