none
WSUS Role on 2012 Server & Language Packs

Question

• Under the Products and Classifications options I go to Windows and I don't have any language packs checked for any OS, however on my only 2 2012 servers WSUS shows I'm missing the Language Packs for both servers.  Is there a way to stop the language packs from showing up?

I've migrated my existing WSUS 3.0 SP2 (which was running on Server 2008 R2) to a 2012 Server with the WSUS Role configured.

Robbie Bomar

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:40 PM

Answers

• Under the Products and Classifications options I go to Windows and I don't have any language packs checked for any OS, however on my only 2 2012 servers WSUS shows I'm missing the Language Packs for both servers.  Is there a way to stop the language packs from showing up?

No language packs are selected for synchronization, but some language packs are present on the server. This is actually an inconsistent state, since if an OS Language Pack product category is not selected in the Products dialog, then OS Language Packs won't be displayed in the console -- so that begs the question of what kind of Language Packs these actually are. Determining that may answer the question as to whether there is any way to stop them from showing up. In the "Additional Details" section of the bottom half of the details pane when one of these updates is selected, what is listed in the "Products" value?

In any event, you have them. Language Packs are available to ALL systems of ALL languges, so this is expected behavior. The issue here is merely one of interpretation of the information presented. The Language Packs are not "Missing".... they are simply Not Installed. This is a common challenge for WSUS Administrators.. understanding the difference between the objective fact of "Not Installed" (which is what the WUAgent reports to WSUS), and the subjective viewpoint of "Needed" (or "Missing", which isn't actually a term that WSUS uses), which is only something a human can determine.

If you don't want the Language Packs, decline them. That'll make 'em go away too. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:27 AM