none
Can MultiPoint Server 2012 join 2012R2 Essentials with Client Connector and use all functions ? Support for this revoked by M$ ?

Question

• I've been trying to connect my Multipoint Server 2012 machine to a Server 2012R2 Essentials machine.

I can get it to join via the Web Page, but once joined, the multipoint manager app no longer opens.

Also, in the 2012R2 Essentials dashboard under devices, the Multipoint machine shows up as unknown operating system. None of the connector features work, such as backup, though it seems domain joined.

Has the Essentials Team revoked client connector support for Multipoint Server ? ( If so, PLEASE bring it back )

After I uninstall the client connector(and reboot), the Multipoint Manager works again.

I've tried disjoining the domain, wiping the machine out of AD and manually rejoining the standard way and MP Manger also works. In both cases the machine domain joins OK.

All of this worked perfectly during testing when joining to Server 2012 Essentials, It only seems broken in R2

( Tested with Evaluation versions of Multipoint and Essentials - Current Production Machines are Open License )

In an earlier BLOG, this is specifically supported.

I can't post the links to them as the forum is forbidding it.

It is also detailed in kb2670858

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:33 PM

Answers

• This was a known issue, im just checking to see if there was a fix.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Thursday, January 09, 2014 12:07 PM
  •   Or maybe its just a bug which hasn't been fixed yet.

Regarding the integration you mentioned, I can see the merit of it. What I can't see is any way to even pay for the development, let alone make money from it. It isn't really a mainstream application.

Bill

Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:56 PM
  • There are 2 workarounds.

1) uninstall the client connector (this handles your backups of the WMS server to the Essentials). You'll still be part of the domain and all functions of WMS will work.

2) if you must leave the connector, then do this on the WMS server:

a) Rename or delete the folder Policy.6.2.SKU and Policy.6.2.AdminCommon under c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL.

b) Change HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WSSG\ProductBinDir from %SystemRoot%\System32\Essentials to %ProgramFiles%\Windows MultiPoint Server

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:34 PM
  • This is at least a partial solution.

After making the changes you listed, I can open them Multipoint Manager again, however the Client Connector then fails to connect with the Essentials Server.

My "Work Around" at that stage is to use Multipoint Manager to switch the machine from "Console Mode" to "WorkStation Mode", undo all the changes and reboot. Then the connector works again.

In fact, I am typing this from a Multipoint client session now as the machine is backing up to the Essentials Server!

This is a "workable" solution for now. I may create a batch file to make all those changes automatically whenever I need to switch to "Console Mode"

I hope the Multipoint and Essentials Teams can get on the same page and find a permanent fix.

Perhaps even work together in the future. These 2 products a so well suited to each other in a small office env.

Thanks very much for help Susan! :)

Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:48 PM

All replies

• This was a known issue, im just checking to see if there was a fix.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Thursday, January 09, 2014 12:07 PM

• Thanks for looking into this.

There seems to be very little info on using these 2 products together.

The 2 teams should really work together to promote using this combo. It makes perfect sense in a small office environment. They could merge the Multipoint Manger into the Essentials Dashboard when joined. That would make management so much simpler. Maybe add a few dashboard features like Roaming Profiles settings, so you don't need to do it the old way.

Friday, January 10, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Perhaps, but what you just described sounds like a few years of development that they will not even consider :p

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Friday, January 10, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Well, call it "conspiracy theory", but I'm guessing someone in the Marketing/Accounting dept. wanted this capability killed off.

Another case of " You're getting too much value for the amount of $$$ you paid "

I guess I'll have to downgrade to 2012

Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:03 PM
  •   Or maybe its just a bug which hasn't been fixed yet.

Regarding the integration you mentioned, I can see the merit of it. What I can't see is any way to even pay for the development, let alone make money from it. It isn't really a mainstream application.

Bill

Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:56 PM
  • We'll, I hope you're right and they fix it. As far as the Dashboard integration, I'm pretty sure this could be done as an "add-in" just like other functions such as "Lights-Out" . Most of the management could use the remote powershell. It's a matter of creating an add in GUI for it. I'm not saying that I have the skill set to do it, but I can't imagine that it would be "years" of work for the M$ engineers.
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:47 PM
  • It's a bug.  Hang loose.

Unfortunately TechNet isn't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:34 AM
  • There are 2 workarounds.

1) uninstall the client connector (this handles your backups of the WMS server to the Essentials). You'll still be part of the domain and all functions of WMS will work.

2) if you must leave the connector, then do this on the WMS server:

a) Rename or delete the folder Policy.6.2.SKU and Policy.6.2.AdminCommon under c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL.

b) Change HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WSSG\ProductBinDir from %SystemRoot%\System32\Essentials to %ProgramFiles%\Windows MultiPoint Server

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:34 PM
  • This is at least a partial solution.

After making the changes you listed, I can open them Multipoint Manager again, however the Client Connector then fails to connect with the Essentials Server.

My "Work Around" at that stage is to use Multipoint Manager to switch the machine from "Console Mode" to "WorkStation Mode", undo all the changes and reboot. Then the connector works again.

In fact, I am typing this from a Multipoint client session now as the machine is backing up to the Essentials Server!

This is a "workable" solution for now. I may create a batch file to make all those changes automatically whenever I need to switch to "Console Mode"

I hope the Multipoint and Essentials Teams can get on the same page and find a permanent fix.

Perhaps even work together in the future. These 2 products a so well suited to each other in a small office env.

Thanks very much for help Susan! :)

Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:48 PM