none
Make cluster traffic come from cluster IP instead of node IP

Question

• I have a Load Balancing Cluster set up on 2 Server 2008 nodes.  I would like to have traffic comming from these nodes come from the cluster ip address and not the node's dedicated IP address.  Is this possible? 

Basically I have a clustered mail service that I suddenly need to have an A record for.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• Based on your description, I am assuming that this Cluster is actual an NLB.  Refer to this doc on the TCP/IP setup so that the outbound IP uses the cluster IP.

Doc applies to pre-win 2008

• It is essential that you enter the dedicated IP address first, in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box (not in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog box), so that all outbound connections made from this host (for example, Telnet or FTP) are initiated with this address.

Check out this article for 2008:

Building a Windows Server 2008 Network Load Balancing Cluster
    http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Building_a_Windows_Server_2008_Network_Load_Balancing_Cluster

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Friday, January 21, 2011 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Right this is an NLB.  I solved this by giving my outgoing mail connecter a different HELO response and then created an A and reverse record for the outside ip of our router, since the outgoing connection is natted.  This was all because one small domain was rejecting our mail based on the A record pointing to a different ip.

It's good to know this is possible.  Will this affect traffic coming from the clustered ip, since multiple nodes will be sending as that ip will two way communication still work?  Or are the nodes smart enough to know not to respond to traffic initiated by another node?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• Based on your description, I am assuming that this Cluster is actual an NLB.  Refer to this doc on the TCP/IP setup so that the outbound IP uses the cluster IP.

Doc applies to pre-win 2008

• It is essential that you enter the dedicated IP address first, in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box (not in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog box), so that all outbound connections made from this host (for example, Telnet or FTP) are initiated with this address.

Check out this article for 2008:

Building a Windows Server 2008 Network Load Balancing Cluster
    http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Building_a_Windows_Server_2008_Network_Load_Balancing_Cluster

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Right this is an NLB.  I solved this by giving my outgoing mail connecter a different HELO response and then created an A and reverse record for the outside ip of our router, since the outgoing connection is natted.  This was all because one small domain was rejecting our mail based on the A record pointing to a different ip.

It's good to know this is possible.  Will this affect traffic coming from the clustered ip, since multiple nodes will be sending as that ip will two way communication still work?  Or are the nodes smart enough to know not to respond to traffic initiated by another node?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:09 PM
  • As long as the clients initiate the connection with the cluster IP, you should not have any issues.  The NLB algorithms will take care of having the correct server respond.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:13 PM