none
Adding Multiple Boot images in Windows Deployment Server

Question

• What could be the additional advantages of adding multiple Boot Images (boot.wim) in Windows Deployment Server? In my scenario one boot image (copied from Sever 2008 DVD) is capable of showing all install images (install.wim) like Win7, Vista, Server 2003/2008. Though I am not stuck in any problem, but this thought just struck in my mind and I am finding myself noob.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• None that I can think of... Using the latest boot.wim from 2008 R2 with SP1 might help in having additional drivers in box.  Frankly, most customers I talk to use MDT 2012 in combination with WDS.  So I would have a look at that this free solution accelerator since it adds so much automation and quality control, not to mention free.

Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:01 PM
  • You can see WDS with MDT 2010.

For WDS queries, ask here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/threads

For MDT queries, use  MDT forum.

Thanks

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:37 PM
  • My experience has shown you need to be picky about your boot images.  These are the restrictions I've run into... WinPE versions prior to 2008R2 (win7) will not successfully deploy a Windows Server 2008R2 or Win7 image.  Also a 64 bit version of WinPE cannot be used to deploy 32bit images through WDS.  You also need to ensure there are nic/controller drivers for the version of WinPE and hardware type in your boot image.  So your version and architecture of your boot image is dependent on what images you want to deploy and the hardware on which they'll be deployed. 

In my case I needed 2 boot images as I was unable to overcome the restrictions above to allow for 1 boot image.  Unfortunately this results in my engineers having to choose the proper boot image at build time.  I've been looking hard for a way to overcome this but have yet to find a way to use 1 boot image for our environment which include Server 2003, 2008, and 2008R2 on server class hardware.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 10:19 PM