none
Virtual machine state : Paused-Critical

Question

• I have a virtual file server which I am currently running in Virtual Server 2005. I tried moving it to Hyper-V on the weekend along with a lot of other machines and got a loverly 'Virtual machine state : Paused-Critical' Error on the file server. Now the VHD for for the files (a secondary disk) is just shy of the maxinum 2TB value and sits on a 2TB LUN. The system VHD is on a LUN with over 50% free space. 

I really don't want to have to move 2TB of data off while I expand the LUN slightly for Hyper-V to be happy (I never had this issue with Virtual Server and would like to use the maximum space of the LUN while still using a VHD for simplicity rather than map the physical lun).

Is there anyway to turn off this health check / issue causing the Paused-Critical error for my secondary disk?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

May I know how you migrated these virtual machines from Virtual Server 2005 to Hyper-V?

If you are using some tools to do the migration, it may depend on that particular tool whether you can turn the check function off or not.

Yes, you can reduce the size as I mentioned previously, by following the steps in KB 888760:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888760

Best regards,

Chang Yin

• Marked as answer by Chang Yin Monday, October 06, 2008 10:27 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

May I know how you performed the migration?

Usually you can create a new virtual machine on Hyper-V to directly use that existing "Virtual Server" VHDs, after making some changes. There is no need to fully copy or move that VHD file.

The error 'Virtual machine state : Paused-Critical' usually occur when the disk space is exhausting. Assuming that the second virtual disk is 1.5TB, sitting on the 2TB LUN. If you are doing something like copying the same VHD to the same LUN, the space will be exhausted and the "Paused-Critical" error will occur.

You may need to check:

1. If the VHD file is reaching 2TB, you may need to delete all the unnecessary files in the second virtual disk, in the virtual machine, and  then compact the VHD file. Please refer to the following article for detailed steps:

2. If the VHD itself is not large, you may need to check if there are any other files on the same LUN and delete them.

General information about how to migrate a virtual machine from Virtual Server to Hyper-V:

======================================================================

1. You may need to check all the following requirements are met. Otherwise, I would not suggest that you migrate them to Hyper-V:

·         Processor architectures (AMD and Intel) are the same

·         Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) used in the VM is compatible. If a mismatch is found, a HAL upgrade will be required or a probable re-activation of the product. By default, Hyper-V uses an APIC, Multi-processor (MP) HAL.

2. Prepare the virtual machine to be migrated to Hyper-V by uninstalling the VMAdditions using Add\Remove Programs.

3. For the second VHD, you can directly use it in the newly created virtual machine on Hyper-V without making any changes to it.

You can refer to the following blog for all the remaining procedures:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-server/migrate-microsoft-virtual-server-2005-r2-vm-to-windows-server-2008-hyper-v/

You can refer to the following article to see if the running OS in the virtual machine is supported by Hyper-V:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954958/en-us

Hope this can be of help.

Best regards,

Chang Yin
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Llewellyn Giles Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:24 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Thanks for that; However nothing there solves my problem.

The VHD is 1.98TB, of that 1.3 is used. The VHD itself is in good order. The VHD is a Fixed size VHD

The VHD sits on a 2TB LUN.

Hyper-V Migration for all the machines (except this one) went 100% and the physical architecture, vm Hal, additions are all right. After moving over 20 production machines to Hyper-V I'm sure I have everything right.

The problem is Hyper-V see's the Physical LUN as being full because the VHD is talking up 99.9% of the space. Is there no way to turn this check functionality off? If not can I somehow reduce the size of a fixed size VHD?
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Hello,

May I know how you migrated these virtual machines from Virtual Server 2005 to Hyper-V?

If you are using some tools to do the migration, it may depend on that particular tool whether you can turn the check function off or not.

Yes, you can reduce the size as I mentioned previously, by following the steps in KB 888760:

Best regards,

Chang Yin

• Marked as answer by Chang Yin Monday, October 06, 2008 10:27 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

We had the problem that one Virtual Machine was in "Paused-Critical Status".

The problem was in the VM Configuration. One path disk was modified automaticly. The path had reference to another place.

We change the path and virtual machine are available to start

Regards.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:10 AM