none
[8-digit-filename].tmp file is created on network share when saving Office files in Windows 7 Folder Redirection

Question

• Hello,

We are running into a serious problem with several customers of ours losing Office Word or Excel files.
    The situation:

Windows 7 clients
    SBS 2008 domain & Fileservers
    Office 2007 & Office 2010
    Folder Redirection enabled
    Offline Files enabled

When working on documents the original files dissapear and a unrecoverable [8-digit-filename].tmp file is in place instead.

When I look at the sync center of the clients I see loads of those tmp files stating that the original has been deleted on the server
    Users (and myself at first) thought nothing of it and simply deleted the tmp files
    But then I started to get complaints from user that they couldn't find documents they had been working on before.
    When I went into the backup to try to recover the files they weren't there, instead there were these tmp files. But these are unreadable even after renaming them.

Is this a known issue? Am I forgetting a setting I need to apply?
    Please help.

Kind regards,
    Rolf

BS Support
    Friday, September 09, 2011 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please have a test to recover the tmp files with the steps in this article:

How to recover a lost file in Word 2007 or in Word 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827099

For the missing files, as tmp files should be deleted automatically after closing an Office file, please check if users have Delete permission on their redirected folders. Meanwhile whether DFS is enabled for these folders? If so you can also check whether it is caused by DFS replication conflict.

Also it could be an Office related issue so you may have a try on Office forum instead.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:54 AM
  • This might be wrong permission issue. What permissions are set on that folder?
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hello Shaon,

I tried to use the Office repair option but it either gives me an empty document or it simply states that it cannot repair the document.

I double checked the permissions and the users have full control on their respective user folder, so i checked effective permissions and confirmed that they have delete folders and files and delete permissions.

This is a SBS2008 server with no additional servers. We don't use DFS.

I disabled Offline Files on all machines to check wether the problem goes away.

Kind regards,

Rolf

BS Support
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:44 AM
  • As stated above they all have FC permissions.

Kind regards,

Rolf

BS Support
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Same problem here... Did you solve this isue?

regards, Jarda

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Temporary files do not synchronize correctly to a non-DFS share on a server from a client computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2434932/en-us

but there is an "update not applicable to your computer" problem with SP1 installed.

regards, Jarda

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:30 PM
  • Hello Jarda,

We didn't solve the problem yet. As you stated the MS Hotfix doesn't work on SP1, this is because the hotfix is included in SP1.

This seems to be a new issue and therefor there's no MS solution....

We disabled Offline files and will stop redirecting the My Doc, Desktop and Favorites folders. Go back to old scholl and map a user share that is offsite only available through VPN untill we see a solution. Don't have time to do deeper exploration. I guess we can't be the only ones with this problem.

regards,

Rolf

BS Support
    Friday, September 23, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Hello Brainsolution,

thanks for reply. I'll try to investigate it myself and post reply if I find some.

Regards,

Jarda

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:37 PM
  • any update?
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hello Jarda,

No, sorry. There is no update. We decided to remove the possibility for Offline files as long as we don't find a solution to this problem.

Regards,

Rolf

BS Support
    Friday, November 04, 2011 3:00 PM
  • I have this problem as well.  One month old SBS 2008 domain with newly upgraded Win7 clients.  Folder redirection enabled with offline files.  Users open an existing word doc, make a change, and save it.  The file on the server redirection share deletes and leaves a ~WRD000.tmp file in its place.  Then desktop reports a sync conflict.  I have been unable to find a resolution as of yet.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 8:17 PM
  • We had same issue with WS07+Office 2010 and NetApp Filer and DFS.
    In our Case the NetApp Filer Firmware was the problem. It was too old to work fine with SMB 2.X.
    Also check 'OpLocks' here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#Level_2_OpLocks

Soheil

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

I'm getting the same/similar problem for a user with an excel file on a DFS share.  It seems to just be coming from a specific user with a specific file, it's not doing it with other files for them, or with this particular excel file for me.  What's making it worse is it's on a DFS share, and the file is occasionally conflicting with itself so the original keeps being deleted!

However, the main reason I've posted at the moment is that the 'temp' file that is left in place is actually a copy of the real file.  It doesn't actually have a .tmp extension (or any extension for that matter), but if you rename the file with .xls (in this instance) it turns out to be the latest version of the file that was being worked on.  I just thought I'd mention it in case others are seeing the same thing but thinking their work is lost forever!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I'm getting the same/similar problem for a user with an excel file on a DFS share.  It seems to just be coming from a specific user with a specific file, it's not doing it with other files for them, or with this particular excel file for me.  What's making it worse is it's on a DFS share, and the file is occasionally conflicting with itself so the original keeps being deleted!

However, the main reason I've posted at the moment is that the 'temp' file that is left in place is actually a copy of the real file.  It doesn't actually have a .tmp extension (or any extension for that matter), but if you rename the file with .xls (in this instance) it turns out to be the latest version of the file that was being worked on.  I just thought I'd mention it in case others are seeing the same thing but thinking their work is lost forever!

The same problem occurs with a simple network share which is synchronized. One would expect that since the problem is already reported more than 6 months ago, Microsoft would have solved this.

I excluded the lack of permissions solution. The problem clearly is related to the synchronization.

• Edited by Frankvl777 Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:48 AM
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:46 AM