none
I can't install a child domain to an existing forest WS2012

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am a student and I am working on a project using Oracle VM VirtualBox. I have two windows servers 2012 installed, and I am trying to create a forest with two domains a parent and a child, but the configuration of the child domain is taking too much time; it doesn't stop but it just take too much time in the process "Replicating the schema directory partition". So is this normal, as it has been running for 5 hours now !!!

Thanks in advance :) 

• Edited by M.Abubakr Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:48 PM
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• do you prepare the forest for install and do you use adprep and ... for preparing

please check the event viewer and talk me error code

so then you must check DNS service for replication

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2022387?wa=wsignin1.0

MCSE | MCITP [x2] | ISMS27001

Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:59 PM
  • yeah I did but it said that the forest-wide information has already been updated and the same for /domainprep

Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that you have create a new foreast with a Windows 2012, and then you want to create a child domain for the existing foreast?

I would like suggest you make sure your first DC hold DNS and set it as the second Windows 2012's DNS server. And then add role and features to install AD on the second Windows 2012.

Please also refer to the below link:

Install a New Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Child or Tree Domain (Level 200)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574105.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I am a student and I am working on a project on Oracle VM VirtualBox. I have two windows servers 2012 installed, and I am trying to create a forest with two domains a parent and a child, but the configuration of the child domain is talking too much time; it doesn't stop but it is just taking too many time in the process "Replicating the schema directory partition". So is this normal, as it has been running for 5 hours now !!!

Thanks in advance :) 

Hi I got the same problem..

do you think reinstall NOS again or remove and re-create AD DNS again

would resolve the problem?

Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hi All,

There is a problem with Server2012. If you try joining the other new 2012 server as a member of the parent domain first (before installing Domain Services Role), you may then be able to create a child on it. It's a known issue. Some people have found editing the hosts file and including the IP of parent, and IP of server in question has helped too.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:22 AM