none
You need permission to perform....Windows 2008 R2

Question

• Hi,

Has anyone experienced "You need permission to perform this action..." on a Windows folder on a shared drive in Windows 2008 R2?

I first assigned a group (to which the users are members) with modify permissions, and then when that did not work, I assigned full control (with perms propagating all the way down); and I still got this error. Even as an administrator I was not able to create a simple folder on the folder (which is also subfolder of a share). If a user copies items from another location to this folder, the error still occurs.

I've seen various articles about UAC etc, but I don't think this is applicable in this case... as these are non admins, and they have perms to this network folder. Very strange and I hav not encountered this in Windows 2003 environment - any ideas?

Btw, this is in an RDS session on Windows 2008 R2 in 2008 AD...

Really would appreciate a quick reply if anyone has encountered this issue...?

TIA

Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Two things to check.  You say that you have checked the permissions.  Does this include the 'share' permission as well as the NTFS permissions:-

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726004.aspx

Also, check the owner of the folder, and if necessary, take ownership of it:-

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Alan Moseley
    • Marked as answer by ericthered07 Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:41 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi Alan,

You had just read my mind; i was wracking my brains and when I looked at share perms, it was only set to Read; I changed to RW, and I can could create files and folders once more - what a schoolboy error, but I don't recall this in 2003, where I set ppl with read share perms but NTFS perms different; unless I am being silly...

But your first link addresses this! Thanks for the response!!

Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:41 PM
  • I'm afraid that the share permissions were definately present in 2003, and in 2000, and I think in NT (I haven't looked at one of those for a few years!).  Never mind, glad you sorted it and that I was of some assistance.
    Alan Moseley
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 3:49 PM
  • oh my word, it REALLY WAS a schoolboy error!I know that there were share perms, but I just didn't recall this behaviour...oh well...

thanks for your help! need to brush up on those basics!

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:00 PM