none
Server 2003 R2 system restore

Question

• I have a 2003 R2 server that from time to time runs low on drive space on C:.  When this happens I get a message that system restore is suspending making any restore points until the drive has more room.  When I go to look for system restore to manage the size of the store it's not there.  Is it hidden?  I know to add system restore to 2003 you have to use some XP files but to my knowledge this has never been done to this server.  Help please!
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• As you know, Microsoft does not support System Restore feature in server-class operating systems. Your case is not normal. My suggestion is to disable System Restore functionality by using Registry. Please follow the steps below and report back the result:

1. Start Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

Note: If you cannot find SystemRestore key, you must first create it manually.

3. Create a REG_DWORD value, name it DisableSR and give it 1.

4. Restart the server and monitor the situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any question or concern.

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by R.Alikhani Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:12 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

if you want to install/Enable System restore on Win server 2003, please refer to:

How to install/Enable System restore on Win server 2003

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-server-2003/how-to-installenable-system-restore-on-win-server-2003/

http://forums.techarena.in/networking-security/1042190.htm

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Jeff Ren TechNet Community Support beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:38 AM
  • I followed the instructions, created the key to disable system restore but I still get the pop up message and I still don't have the tab.  Can someome tell me where the restore points are kept?  Can I just go delete them?  I don't want to use them.
    Friday, May 11, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Did you follow the links that Jeff has provided to enable the presence of System Restore tab in Windows Server 2003?

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:07 PM
  • No I only did the part that disabled system restore on 2003 in an effore to get rid of the error message but it didn't work
    Friday, May 11, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Does your system belong to a domain environment (has been joint a domain)? if so, please consider that the domain related policies do not overwrite the registry changes that you have done...

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:35 AM
  • you could look into the following articles to disable the System Restore, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283073

if it still not work , based on my research, it can get this function by configuring group policy, please go to GP forum for help.http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Jeff Ren TechNet Community Support beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:38 AM