none
Ubuntu 10.04 migration from VMWare to WIn8 Hyper V fails if load hv_XX drivers

Question

• I've converted a VMware (Ubuntu 10.04.  Linux 2.6.32-37) virtual hard disk to VHD.

I've created a Win 8 Hyper-V virtual machine.

I've uninstalled the VMware additions.

At this point I have a working Ubuntu installation with no network access.

Next I tried following this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/961.aspx to include the hv_XXX drivers.  This appeared to succeed, but when I rebooted the VM it crashed.  By crashed I mean that A saw a series of text lines appear after which the VM is unresponsive except for a reboot. I don't know if this is a trace or a stack dump (I am NOT a Linux expert).

I manage to remove the drivers by booting into the Linux equivalent of safe mode and reversing the changes.

The drivers appear to be present on the machine and the hv_vmbus is installed (after the changes reversed), but none of the others.

I've changed the network adapter to a legacy one and I now have a working installation, although it seems slow and clunky.

I really have no idea how to diagnose this.  Are the hv_modules incompatible with the hyper-v I'm using?  Is that fact that the installation was originally under VMware causing issues (even though I think I've installed the VMware bits?).

Any help much appreciated!

Iain

Iain Downs

• Edited by IainDowns2 Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:49 AM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• What I've done is to update the Linux kernel to the latest 'virtual' kernel.  I'm now running 3.0 rather than 2.6.X

This appears to be somewhat more performant and various of the hv_ drivers are now loaded (including hv_netsvc).  So I'm assuming that Linux is now playing nicely with the hyper-v stuff.

It wasn't quite as scary as I expected.

Thanks

Iain

Iain Downs

• Marked as answer by IainDowns2 Friday, January 11, 2013 8:56 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 8:55 PM

All replies

• By what means did you convert your VMWare VM to a VHD?
    Monday, January 07, 2013 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

I checked Hyper-V supported guest operating system list, Ubuntu 10.04 is not in the official Hyper-V supported OS list in both Windows Server 2008, Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

The supported Ubuntu OS version is 12.04 in Windows Server 2008, Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. For Ubuntu 12.04, integration services are built-in and do not require a separate download and installation.

You may upgrade your Ubuntu VM to version 12.04; it’s compatible with Hyper-V.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

About Virtual Machines and Guest Operating Systems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868
    Hyper-V Overview (Windows Server 2012)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831531.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 07, 2013 2:43 AM
  • I only converted the disk - using Vmdk2Vhd

Iain Downs

Monday, January 07, 2013 7:24 AM
  • I agree that 10.04 is not officially supported.  The article I reference that explains how to run 10.04 under hyper-v is an MS article and indicates it is possible and should work.

I'm hoping someone can explain why it doesn't!

Iain

Iain Downs

Monday, January 07, 2013 7:26 AM
  • It most likely has something to do with the way the integration services interact with the guest operating system. Beyond that, it'll be hard to find the specifics. I'm sure there's a good reason it's not on the supported list.

Monday, January 07, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

That article applies to Windows Server 2008 R2 non Sp1 and 32-Bit Ubuntu server 10.04. Since Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V has upgraded Integration service, this solution maybe not applies to Windows Server 2012.

You can copy VHD of that VM to a Windows Server 2008 R2, and check the result.

Also you may install Linux Integration Services Version 3.4 for the VM in Windows 8 and check the result.

Linux Integration Services Version 3.4 for Hyper-V
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34603

Note: This version of Linux Integration Services supports the following guest operating systems; it does not include Ubuntu system (Since the only supported Ubuntu OS 12.04 has built-in Integration service), but you may try that.

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7, 5.8, 6.0-6.3 x86 and x64
    • CentOS 5.7, 5.8, 6.0-6.3 x86 and x64

You may also create a post in “Linux Integration Services for Microsoft Hyper-V" forum, members in that forum are more professional in Linux related Hyper-V questions.

Linux Integration Services for Microsoft Hyper-V
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/linuxintegrationservices/threads

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:06 AM
  • What I've done is to update the Linux kernel to the latest 'virtual' kernel.  I'm now running 3.0 rather than 2.6.X

This appears to be somewhat more performant and various of the hv_ drivers are now loaded (including hv_netsvc).  So I'm assuming that Linux is now playing nicely with the hyper-v stuff.

It wasn't quite as scary as I expected.

Thanks

Iain

Iain Downs

• Marked as answer by IainDowns2 Friday, January 11, 2013 8:56 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 8:55 PM