none
How does DFS replicate open files that are read only

Question

• If I have a DFS folder setup to replicate in a hub and spoke topology where all the spokes are read-only, and a user opens a file (like a word doc or a pdf) from one of the read-only spokes, will that file not be replicated from the hub to that spoke until the user closes the file?

Also, I have the same question regarding mdb files. If an mdb file is opened as read-only will DFS not replicate it until it is closed, even though the user does not have access to make changes to the mdb?

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I tried with a TXT file and it will be replicated to Read-only member once I saved on Read-Write side. Replication is triggered by closing the file on upstream so it will be replicated to downstream correctly and replace the file when it is writable.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I tried with a TXT file and it will be replicated to Read-only member once I saved on Read-Write side. Replication is triggered by closing the file on upstream so it will be replicated to downstream correctly and replace the file when it is writable.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:40 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, is this behavior the same for mdb files?

I think I read that for access or other database formats that even opening the database as read only might prevent DFS from replicating it.

• Edited by red888 Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:42 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.

I think we should do a test on MDB files for confirm.

Generally replication is triggled by closing a file. So I cannot confirm the result for sure.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:09 AM
  • At some point I'll test an mdb, but I should have been clearer in my last question.

The hypothetical scenario is this:

• I update an mdb file on the hub server
    • Immediately after a user opens the mdb on the hub server
    • Will the changes made to the mdb file now not get replicated until that user closes the file?

With Microsoft mdb files ldb files are created when users are accessing them (but I'm not sure if they are when the user only has read access to the mdb). I read some people were saying these file will lock the mdb and prevent replication- is that correct?

Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:29 PM