Windows 7 SP1 x64 installation was not successful - error 0x800f0a12

General discussion

• Tried all the possible solutions but no luck. It gives "installation was not successful - error 0x800f0a12" as soon as it starts.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:59 AM

All replies

• ...Finally, yes, this is RC forum. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't yet officially distributed SP1 RTM to their partners. 'Till this, no one will officially mention RTM.

• Edited by Sgt-Riggs Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:57 PM thread clean-up
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 3:27 PM
  • i have a totally legit copy and just to wanted install sp1 that is floating around thats all. i have no intension or time to deal with any kind of pirated copy of software, so its my bad to mention RTM(thats what the forums says), anyways i feel really sorry to bother you guys with this.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Don't bother. Anyway, I can't help you with your problem, just wait for images with integrated SP1 and make an upgrade. Sorry for uselessness :(

Saturday, January 15, 2011 4:01 PM
  • There is no need to be more catholic than the Pope. Service Packs are free anyway, how can they be "pirated" then? An unofficial (maybe unwanted, too) release has more in common with beta testing - if you want fun (?), don't wonder at the risks. Concerning the error message: The first thing to check would be the integrity of the download (hashes). Disabling antivirus software and other background programs during installation is also recommended.
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

to see the cause of Windows Vista or Windows 7 update/SP failures, we must look for error messages in the file CBS.log.

Please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy the file "CBS.log" to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it) and upload the complete CBS.log to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Since installing sp1 RC in me laptop win7 I am  having problems with installing Drivers.

I have rolled back the OS to prior to the update but whatever it did was sticky/permanent as it didn't change anything and as I dig deeper things are getting worse. I am getting very upset, to say the least.

Floyd Hoover
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Please start your own topic by clicking on Ask a question on the top of the forum.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Finally i have managed to install it and everything seems fine so far, thank you for your concern.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Any hints about the source of your initial problem? (Would be helpful for others.)
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:59 AM
  • I have applied all the possible workarounds such as "sfc" command and the "system update readiness tool" but the logs were all clean, after downloading the "the pack" from five different sources (same builds) on my x64 system i still got the same error. Finally downloading the one from softpedia resolved all my problems. The installation went through without any problem at all. Now my ahci setup hard drives "seems" to have much more transfer rate and the system is much more smooth and responsive (could be placebo effect  though) and no watermark or whatsoever on desktop, hope this helps. Thank you for your effort Sanmartin.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:39 AM
  • FYI, if You are using a custom bootloader like GRUB, Chameleon - 0x800f0a12 will pop. I guess any  modifications to the MBR will result in this particular error.

If that's the case, get rid of it for the time being - works fine with BCD only on a kosher win-native filesystem.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:45 PM
  • FYI, if You are using a custom bootloader like GRUB, Chameleon - 0x800f0a12 will pop. I guess any  modifications to the MBR will result in this particular error.

If that's the case, get rid of it for the time being - works fine with BCD only on a kosher win-native filesystem.

Thanks a lot for the information it's working now.

Can i reinstall grub afer installing the sp1 or is it not going to work well?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:53 AM
  • lemur11 / aviramof / Sebastian what leads you to the conclusion that GRUB/Chameleon causes the issue? Have you found that installing GRUB or Chameleon moves the BCD elsewhere, or changes the optional system partition?
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:57 AM