none
Outlook can´t connect to Exchange server

Question

• I have installed Office 2007 on a windows server 2003, made a profile in Outlook and when i trie to connect to our ISP exchange server it gives this message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The attempt to log on to Microsoft Exchange has failed".

I have tried a lot of fixes but nothing helps, then i got a crazy idea, i uninstalled the Terminal server function (it is a testserver) and made a new Outlook profile and then Outlook works, it can connect to the exchange server.

I have to get Outlook to work on 3 servers, but i cant uninstall terminal server on them because the users connects to the servers an use Outlook on them (Citrix).

What can i do to fix this ?

Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:03 AM

Answers

• I have found the reason why Outlook doesn´t want to connect.

When you have terminal server installed you can´t have have outlook in syncronised mode and therefore outlook can´t make a OST file.
    Our ISP has a setting on their server that doesn´t allow us to have the outlook in "not syncronised mode".
    Sorry that i am not so god in explaining this, hope you understand.

• Marked as answer by kalle05 Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:14 AM
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

With installed Terminal Service Role check for anythin what possibly may block traffic between your server and ISP's server. Maybe firewall rules, antivirus, check any rules in the NAP (try to telnet required ports from your server to the ISP server)

сила в справедливости
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 8:14 AM
  • There is no firewall on the server, we have a "hardware" firewall and all our servers and computers are behind it, the rules don´t change when i make changes on the server.

No antivirus at this moment, uninstalled it to test if it would help.

What is NAP ?

How do i telnet to the exchange server ? 

Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:21 AM
  • I have found the reason why Outlook doesn´t want to connect.

When you have terminal server installed you can´t have have outlook in syncronised mode and therefore outlook can´t make a OST file.
    Our ISP has a setting on their server that doesn´t allow us to have the outlook in "not syncronised mode".
    Sorry that i am not so god in explaining this, hope you understand.

• Marked as answer by kalle05 Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:14 AM
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:14 AM
  • I can't connect to Exchange either...

I was told it was due to my ISP. 

I am not very technical but can figure most things out...

Can you tell me what I need to do to make the connection?

I have Office 2007 on my virtual machine (Sun VirtualBox)

I don't know what this means but the network connection is listed as NAT (I assume via my connection on my machine - Mac/OS)

Can anyone help me?

kelleycannon@me.com

Friday, April 02, 2010 5:11 PM