none
Disk2vhd: error snapshotting volumes

Question

• Trying to run disk2vhd on a SBS 2011 with 2 partitions, getting the "Error snapshotting volumes". The server is a VMWare VM (yes I know its doggy to have SBS as a VM (this isn't my setup, we are just migrating users and files from this server))

Event log has these:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied. . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process."

For the System Writer, DHCP Jet Writer, SPSearch4 VSS writer, TS Gateway Writer, NPS VSS writer.

I have attempted:

• Only selecting one or the other of the two partitions
    • I am running disk2vhd "as administrator" with a domain admin account/local admin.
    • Created an AD group "vssregistrygroup" added this group to registry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl as a dword "DOMAIN\vssregistrygroup" with value 1
    • Added the above group with full permission to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Diag\
    • I've completed the SharePoint configuration (SBS server).
    • Restarted the server
    • I'm physically located hours away from the server so I cant boot into WinPE or anything like that to run disk2vhd from there.
    • Restarted volume shadow copy service.
    • vssadmin list writers shows no errors or warnings on any writers.
    • Added my admin account in dcomcnfg.exe to component services\computers\my computer - com security - Access permissions with local and remote access.

I've been searching the error messages for hours already, please don't respond with a quick link to something suggesting one of the above things that I've already tried. By all means, if you have a link suggesting something that I haven't actually tried, I am all ears.

Thanks

• Edited by Trana010 Friday, August 23, 2013 2:03 AM
    • Moved by Santosh BhandarkarMVP Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:34 AM Moved from Server General Forum, OS in question is SBS
    Friday, August 23, 2013 1:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

What hypervisor you use ? Installing the Integration tool will make you able to make a snapshot from the hypervisor directly in most case. (and you can copy the file directly in msot case)

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Ironically, I am running into the same exact issue right now, except on SBS 2008. I was doing some researching and came across you post.

One other thing I tried is boot into DSRM and run Disk2vhd from there, but now getting another error and VSS complaining that the server is in DSRM in App Log, where before when I stopped AD services it was complaining with other even id, suggesting to go into DSRM mode and run from there.

I am also away from the server and doing this remotely. Your suggestion with WinPE or maybe Hiren's Boot CD is not a bad idea. I can get to the server within an hour or so. Will this make a difference on where the Disk2vhd is ran from?

My next step was to run Symantec System Recovery or Acronis product to do the P2V conversion to Hyper-V... Any other thoughts? Thanks

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:47 AM
  • Yagmoth, as mentioned, the server in question is hosted on VMware, so yes, I might need to look into that approach of exporting the VM from there, I was just hoping to avoid the conversion hassle (I need to mount it in Hyper-V later on) by using disk2vhd on the original VMware VM.

Alex: The WinPE isnt my own idea, I did come across a thread somewhere else where someone had supposedly done this on multiple SBS servers, however it wasnt 100% clear if it was on a data disk only or if he actually did it on a whole system and came out with a bootable VHD and not just a VHD to be added to another VM.

I have progressed slightly myself since my last post.

Step 1:

Had disk2vhd excluded from the antivirus real time agent. This has removed the previous event error posted above the IVssWriterCallback. I'm writing this in retrospect, but I believe this was the new error:

Event 12293:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {}. Routine details BeginPrepareSnapshot({},{},\\?\Volume{}\) [hr = 0x800700aa, The requested resource is in use.
    ]. 
    Operation:
    Add a Volume to a Shadow Copy Set
    Context:
    Execution Context: Coordinator

Step 2:

I stopped the backup software VSS services and tried again, new event error again:

Event 12292

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {} [0x80070422, The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    ]. 

Operation:
       Obtain a callable interface for this provider

Context:
       Provider ID: {}
       Class ID: {}
       Snapshot Context: 4194304

Event 13

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {} and name SW_PROV cannot be started. [0x80070422, The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Operation:
       Obtain a callable interface for this provider
       List interfaces for all providers supporting this context
       Check If Volume Is Supported by Provider

Context:
       Provider ID: {}
       Class ID: {}
       Provider ID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
       Volume Name: \\?\Volume{}\

Got some ideas, but need to wait for the weekly backup to finish. Meanwhile, anyone have any suggestions?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

If your vm guest OS installed in the third party product virtualization environment and you want to convert it to the Hyper-v virtualization environment you must use the “V2V” method.

Disk2vhd is a utility that creates VHD (Virtual Hard Disk - Microsoft's Virtual Machine disk format) versions of physical disks for use in Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines (VMs).

Quote from:

Disk2vhd v1.64 Introduction.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Please refer the following KB for  the V2V:

How to Convert VMware Virtual Machines to Hyper-V

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610672.aspx

Hope this helps.

Alex Lv

Monday, August 26, 2013 9:46 AM
  • If you want a tool for a conversion I would try VConverter.

For a Dc it's never a good idea to create a volume cooy, the AD databse is always lock. even vmware told to not do so. You need to make a "cold" conversion, So reboot on a restore/backup media and you retry from there.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006996

I would had warn in my first post, I just realized the SBS word

thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:11 PM
  • Thanks Yagmoth, I already looked at the V2V article but I'm guessing I need Virtual Machine Manager from the System Center suite to follow those instructions. I dont have that available to me on this remote server which is on a different domain to myself.

Thats the whole purpose of this exercise, I want to get a VHD of this server to setup in my own domain and trial a email mailbox migration from their domain to our domain using a 3rd party tool such as the Quest or CodePlex one. I got that part covered, however I need that VHD to do this test.

Gonna try 5nineEasyConverter today and failing that I'll try VConverter.

FYI, I've ran disk2vhd on many Hyper-V VMs before and I do appreciate that thats not the intent of the tool, but it works fine.

Monday, August 26, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Hi

It seem a good utility. I might give it a try to export the disk.

I was more talking about vconverter because I got serious problem migrate a DC into virtual without it in the past. I tried with XenServer tool, and at that time the tool was not enougth mature for a good shot. I finished to use vconverter and after redo a transfert into the good format (xenserver use the vhd standard, so it's not a big move in the end)

Thread like that one; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ef8c12f7-c45d-442e-9a30-c43cd87df3b3/how-to-convert-vmware-image-to-hyperv-images told different method to reconvert the vmdk to vhd.

In worst case I would use the vmware tool and re-image the disk after. (but it will take some time to do)

Thanks

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Alex Lv

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:54 AM