none
Fake Full System Hard drive

Question

• Hello,

I have installed a fresh windows server 2008R2 and fully updated, and then installed Exchange Server 2010 SP1 and everything is working fine, I choosed to store the DB and the log files on D drive.

after 20 days, I have noticed that C drive which hold the system is totally full, while the size is 180GB, I checked inside and I found only 17GB is actually used, I double check the Paging and it is not activated for the C drive.

I have Forefront End point on the server and it telling me no virus on the machine.

what is the issue, why C drive showing full while I have only 17GB used from 180 GB partition space ?

Please help, I don't want to format again, I have 300 users connected to the DB

Nour
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:03 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your kind replay Shaon,

I have booted to the Safe Mood, and I found that the drive is actually used the full size of the drive, when I searched I found that a data base copy from the configuered DAG is killing the size from the log files, I have removed the data base copy from the DAG and deleted the database files including the log and this gave me 95GB of size.

Thank you again.

Nour

Nour
    • Marked as answer by Nour - R-tech Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:23 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Nour,

First please have a look on this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2008/07/03/ntfs-misreports-free-space.aspx

Let's first check if it is a real issue. Try the chkdsk command to get a correct disk space result.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:04 AM
  • Thank you for your kind replay Shaon,

I have booted to the Safe Mood, and I found that the drive is actually used the full size of the drive, when I searched I found that a data base copy from the configuered DAG is killing the size from the log files, I have removed the data base copy from the DAG and deleted the database files including the log and this gave me 95GB of size.

Thank you again.

Nour

Nour
    • Marked as answer by Nour - R-tech Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:23 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 1:23 PM