none
Disk quota size not displaying on mapped drives on Windows 7!!! This is supposed to work in win2008/win7!!

Question

• We have quotas set up on a Windows 2008 file server using FSRM.  Windows 7 clients with mapped drives to the shares are not displaying the quota size 'usage', rather they are showing the entire volume size usage.  I have been banging my head against google for several days now and can not find a solution.  Everything I find are cases involving windows XP clients and all seem to point to a limitation with XP and SMB 1.0...and quotas being set on the root of a share rather than subfolders with a share.  I have tested applying a quota in both scenerios....neither will display the quota size to the mapped client drive.

Windows 7 is supposed to be SMB 2.0 and NOT have this limitation with displaying quota sizes on mapped network shares.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:07 PM

Answers

• It's glad to find out the cause. And I'm afraid it will not work like this as soft quota is actually not a limitation. You could workaround this with send a warning email to user when it arrived a certain percent of quota size.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ChKeg Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you said this issue should be fixed in Windows 7. So please check if SMB2 protocol is disabled:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    Value name: Smb2

Note:

Value: 0 = disabled

Value: 1= enabled

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Shaon,

I checked, but that registry entry for 'Smb2' does not exist on either the Win7 client or the Win2008 file server.

So, if it doesn't exist does that mean it's disabled or enabled?  It should be enabled by default  on both of these systems, correct?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

If there is no smb2 value, by default smbv2 is enabled.

So please check if disk quota is set correctly --- You could create a folder like D:\folder, share it as \\server\folder. Set quota on that folder in FSRM like a hard quota (like 2MB limitation). Then map the folder on a Windows 7 client to see if issue persists.

Also please check if there is a desktop.ini folder in your mapped folder. Delete it to see if it related.

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Shaon,

Ok, I set up a hard quota on a current share folder and mapped a drive to the share.  It worked.  The mapped drive showed the quota size rather than the total volume size.  I changed the quota to a soft quota and refreshed the mapped drive....the size changed to the total volume size instead of the quota size instantly.  I changed it back to a hard quota and the displayed size changed back to the quota size.

So, I think that helped to pinpoint where the problem lies.  We are using soft quotas on our shares.

We currenlty are prohibited from using hard quotas, but still need the insight into disk consumption that soft quotas give us.  It would be much more desirable for the end users to see the mapped drives showing the quota size rather than the total volume size.

Is there anyway to make the mapped drive show the quota size instead of the total volume size when using soft quotas?

Thank you.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:33 PM
  • It's glad to find out the cause. And I'm afraid it will not work like this as soft quota is actually not a limitation. You could workaround this with send a warning email to user when it arrived a certain percent of quota size.

• Marked as answer by ChKeg Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:59 AM
  • Hmm, well that's disappointing.  An end user should see the quota size displayed whether or not it's being enforced as a hard quota or it is being set up a soft quota 'guideline'.  I think MS completely missed the mark on this.

We will consider configuring the email notifications but this would be a very undesirable 'workaround'.  For example... the end user will be getting emails saying they are 'running out of storage' ....but they will see that there is 700GB out of 2.5TB available on the volume being shown on the mapped drive.  Very poor solution.  Very confusing for the end user.

Thank you for your help. 

• Edited by ChKeg Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:08 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:08 PM