none
Server 2008 keeps rebooting during boot

Question

• Hi,

I'm having problemes with a IBM Blade server booting from SAN, the server is running windows Server 2008 64 Bit Enterprise version. The server reboots during boot. If I try booting in safe mode, after the driver CRCDISK.SYS is loaded the server reboot.

this is what i have done so fare.

- running chkdsk c:\ /r  - a few errors, but still same result.

- running SFC /Scannow /OffBootDir=C:\ /OffWinDir=C:\Windows - No errors and still same result

-  running X:\sources\recovery\startrep kørt (from boot disk) – still same result.

- Showing only the boot disk from SAN to Server, removing other disks.

- Renamed the files software, security, default, system and sam from c:\windows\system32\config to .old. Copied the files software, security, default, system and sam from c:\windows\system32\config\regback to c:\windows\system32\config - still same result

- Last good known configuration - still same result.

Now i'm running out of ideas - so please help.

Regards Mads

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Mads,

as Mr. X said, it is most probably the CRCDISK.SYS issue. I don't think its the SAN issue, simply because the image is on LUN which consists of more than one physical disk and if there are other OSs and if they run fine, SAN could not be an issue.

You can simply try to copy this one driver from Windows Server DVD and replace the corrupted one in the system. If you google search, you will find the instructions how to replace the corrupted one with the new one.

You can also try this: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this helps.

Vladimir

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Sound like you are in a bad situation. Have you tried a system recovery to a prior date from the boot disk? Your disk may have soft errors if you got errors in the check disks util but usually boot/BSOD errors happen after a windows update and you get a driver related proble. Try to roll back to a prior date. Also, can you boot into safe mode?

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Yes I have tried a system recovery, but I dont have anything old to return to. Yes I have also tried booting in Safe Mode, but it is the same problem. The server restarts after loading the driver crcdisk.sys.

I'm not sure but it looks like the error happen after a windows update. Thats why i tried renaming the config files and using the files from config\regback - but with no luck.

Mads Hammerlund Jørgensen

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:21 AM
  • As it is hanging at crcdisk.sys driver, I would suspect that this is an issue with the connection with the used disks. Since it is on your SAN, I would check the connectivity to your SAN and the used driver. The errors can be seen also after running chkdsk. I would recommend contacting your SAN vendor technical support for more assistance.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:28 PM
  • I'm not sure the server is haning at the crcdisk.sys driver, in safe mode it's the last loaded driver. As I see it, the driver causing the problem, could also be the driver Windows try to load after the crcdisk.sys driver. But I don't know what driver. One of the first ting we did, was contacting SAN technical support, but they don't think it's a SAN problem.

We have now restored the system from backup to a new virtuel server, but it would still be nice to learn and fix the problem with the physical server.

Mads Hammerlund Jørgensen

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Hi Mads,

as Mr. X said, it is most probably the CRCDISK.SYS issue. I don't think its the SAN issue, simply because the image is on LUN which consists of more than one physical disk and if there are other OSs and if they run fine, SAN could not be an issue.

You can simply try to copy this one driver from Windows Server DVD and replace the corrupted one in the system. If you google search, you will find the instructions how to replace the corrupted one with the new one.

You can also try this: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this helps.

Vladimir

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:39 PM