none
command line uninstall of Hyper-V Integration Services, Vista

Question

• I need to automate the uninstallation of Hyper-V Integration Services in Vista. I've seen mention of invoking "Setup.exe /uninstall" on the Integration Services Setup Disk.  However, I would like to find a technique that is not dependent on the disk or its contents.

What I would really prefer is the command line equivalent of seleting "uninstall" on "Hyper-V Guest Integration Services (KB956777)" in "Control Panel / Programs and Features / Installed Updates".  What action does Windows Vista perform when uninstall of this update is selected?  Is it as simple as invoking a program with certain arguments?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The following articles may be helpful for you:

Uninstall Integration Services from Hyper-V Windows Guest Virtual Machine

http://capitalhead.com/articles/uninstall-integration-services-from-hyper-v-windows-guest-virtual-machine.aspx

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The following articles may be helpful for you:

Uninstall Integration Services from Hyper-V Windows Guest Virtual Machine

http://capitalhead.com/articles/uninstall-integration-services-from-hyper-v-windows-guest-virtual-machine.aspx

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

Thank you.  I've seen that article.  It suggests invoking "Setup.exe /uninstall" using the Setup.exe found on the Integration Services Setup Disk.  However, I would like to find a technique that is not dependent on the disk or its contents.

Do you know (can you find out) what command is invoked when "uninstall" is selected on "Hyper-V Guest Integration Services (KB956777)" in "Control Panel / Programs and Features / Installed Updates"?

Regards,

Mark
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

Did you want to remove the KB956777 for lots of VMs at the time(I.E. Run the uninstall script from group policy)? If so, you may need to create a script to insert the Integration Services Setup Disk for all the VMs at the same time. However, as we mainly focus on the Hyper-V question about Windows Server system and here is not the best support resource for script development, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

MSDN Forums

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/categories

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

• Proposed as answer by Enmanuel_sm Tuesday, August 04, 2009 11:21 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:49 AM
  • Considering that Vista base code/configuration is similar to Windows Server 2008, you should check:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/603f0c59-fc1e-4787-96af-fc4977931f08?prof=required&wa=wsignin1.0

This sounds like a HAL problem.

1. Start msconfig
    2. Go to the Boot tab
    3. Click the Advanced options button.
    4. Check the Detect HAL checkbox.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Reboot the vm.
    8. Install Integration Services.

This mostly happens if you create your guest machine on Virtual Server or Virtual PC

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 11:27 PM