none
Does Hyper-V support OVF (Open Virtualization Format) - If not will 2008 R2 support it?

Question

• The question is in the subject. More info on the format is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtual_Machine_Format
    The reson I am asking is that apparently Sun's VirtualBox supports it and I if Hyper-V supported I would be able to move guests between my laptop and server back and forth without need to install Server 2008 with Hyper-V on my laptop. thanks
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi dziogo,

Microsoft's current line of products does not support OVF, and to be fair I am pretty sure none of the major players do (with the exception of VB 2.2).

-matt

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:14 AM

All replies

• Hi dziogo,

Microsoft's current line of products does not support OVF, and to be fair I am pretty sure none of the major players do (with the exception of VB 2.2).

-matt

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Matthew, Thanks for reply. That is what I assumed. The idea of VM portability between virtualization platforms is very appealing but I realize there is more to it than just vhd file format.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:04 PM
  • VMware has supported OVF for a while now all through the ESX 3.0+ range.  Virtual appliance > Import/Export.

Now VMware support it even more, with freeware tools that allow you to convert between ESX/VMX and OVF and also import directly into ESX instances.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Indeed vmware workstation also supports it, would be nice to have a way to import it in Hyper-V.

Currently you might be able to just use the VMWARE ovftool and convert it to vmware, afterwards you could convert it with vmware to hyper-v format

Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:12 AM