none
Group Policy Administration Templates how do i import these

Question

• Hey everyone

i am new to group policy in 2008 and R2 and i have not really done much in 2003 either

our domain controllers here where upgraded from a 2003 SBS server to a windows 2008R2 Domain, now a lot of the Group policy objects that i am supposed to have are missing, and people are telling me to copy admx and adml files around, my issues is i am confused on where they actually go, i have them on my win7 machine but where exactly on the domain controller do i copy them too

thanks for any help, i know this might come off as a stupid question

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Refer below steps.

To add or remove a classic Administrative Template file (.adm file)

• Using the Local Group Policy Editor, open the Local Group Policy object you want to edit.

• In the console tree, under either Computer Configuration or User Configuration, right-click Administrative Templates.

• Click Add/Remove Templates.

• Do one of the following:

• To add a template, click Add. In the Policy Templates dialog box, click the template you want to add, and then click Open.
      • To remove a template, in the Current Policy Templates list, click the template, and then click Remove.

=================for more information, please refer below link==============

http://www.petri.co.il/adding_new_administrative_templates_to_gpo.htm

Regards,

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and please do "VOTE".

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:29 AM
  • i have tried that but none of the templates can be viewed in the browse window when i click on Add, then i see articles about people talking about then central store in sysvol, and this is getting confusing
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:43 PM
  • but yet if i build a brand new domain controller in a testing environment they all appear in Group Policy Management 
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Did you use central store?

You can get the Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Administrative Templates from the following location:

Administrative Templates (ADMX) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6243

ADMX files guide for your reference: 

Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709647(v=WS.10).aspx

Regards,
    Cicely

Friday, February 01, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

on your DC's, you should have a local folder:
    c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions
    (this is the default for WS2008/2008R2)

if your DC also has a folder:
    c:\Windows\sysvol\mydomain.com\policies\PolicyDefinitions
    then this means your DC (and therefore your domain) has been setup with a central store

depending on which of these (or both) you find, the next steps will vary.
    do you have any WS2003 or SBS2003 DC's remaining at all?
    let us know what you find.

refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748955(v=ws.10).aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:13 AM
  • I will look for those folders today

and no we have decommissioned all ws2003 and sbs2003 servers

Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:26 PM
  • i have done this and other suggestions and there still not appearing, i dont understand how this can be so difficult to get working

This is what i have

This is what i am trying to get to show up

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Still cant get it to work
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:40 AM
  • i have installed the Administrative Templates (ADMX) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 and copied them to C:\windows\Sysvol\domain\polices\policydefinitions and restarted the DC and still the options are not appearing, i have tried adding them manually and there still not appearing in the browse list either 
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:43 AM
  • i have installed the Administrative Templates (ADMX) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 and copied them to C:\windows\Sysvol\domain\polices\policydefinitions and restarted the DC and still the options are not appearing, i have tried adding them manually and there still not appearing in the browse list either 

Oh, ok.

in the central store folders, do you have a folder and sub-folder structure like the Technet library article suggests?

e.g. do you have the language/culture subfolder (EN-US or whatever)?
    and the necessary subfolder under that?

it sure seems like your GPMC is detecting a central store but the store isn't structured correctly or is empty.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:27 AM
  •  The interesting thing is missing ;-)) In the nav tree, what is the full
    text of "Administrative Templat" - I'm guessing, but maybe you created a
    central store but forgot to populate it...

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:34 PM
  • yes i do have that folder structure in place

and i have even coped the files to where the Technote states to store them and still no go

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:27 PM
  •  
    > yes i do have that folder structure in place

And the admx files are one level above (in the admx folder)?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:07 PM
  • yes the amdx files are one level above that 
    Monday, February 11, 2013 10:19 AM
  • yes the amdx files are one level above that 

ok, crazy ideas time!

if you launch the gpmc.msc can you see your domain and the existing Group Policy objects ?
    do you get any errors in gpmc.msc ?

Don

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:50 AM