none
Unable to extend system partition even with free space next to it.

Question

• Hey Folks,

I've been looking all over and can't seem to find the solution that fits my problem.

When intalling my server I was dumb enough to only give 11gb to the system partitoin thus I constantly am running out of disk. I've tried to extend the partition to the larger partition without luck.

THe empty space is right next to my partition though I still can't expand to it. When I right click on the system voludme extend is greyed out.

Thanks for the help.

J

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:57 PM

Answers

• Technically you don't have unallocated space which is required for you to extend the partition. You have a Extended partition with Free space within that partition which can only be used for the Extended Partition to create logical partitions. You must have unallocated space which is black in color.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 8:42 PM
  • If you are looking for a suggestion on how to fix this (you have some weird setup there--especially on a server), do this:

• Copy or backup the contents of your F: drive somewhere like an external drive
    • Delete logical drive F:
    • Delete the Extended partition; at this point you should have unallocated space
    • Expand your primary partition containing your C: drive
    • Copy back the contents you backed up
    • Enjoy your 1TB drive

• Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by jlark Monday, March 05, 2012 2:53 PM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:08 PM

All replies

• Technically you don't have unallocated space which is required for you to extend the partition. You have a Extended partition with Free space within that partition which can only be used for the Extended Partition to create logical partitions. You must have unallocated space which is black in color.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

You will need have continuous unallocated space next to the partition that you want extend the partition.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MVP (File System Storage)
    HP Enterprise Services: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    View my MCP Certifications
    My Blog
    Contact me

• Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:04 PM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:54 PM
  • If you are looking for a suggestion on how to fix this (you have some weird setup there--especially on a server), do this:

• Copy or backup the contents of your F: drive somewhere like an external drive
    • Delete logical drive F:
    • Delete the Extended partition; at this point you should have unallocated space
    • Expand your primary partition containing your C: drive
    • Copy back the contents you backed up
    • Enjoy your 1TB drive

• Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by jlark Monday, March 05, 2012 2:53 PM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

As the guys above mentioned, you can not extend primary partition to free space in extended partition. To extend, you need to backup F partition to external hard drive. Then, delete F partition and delete entire extended partition. After that, you can extend system partition into contiguous unallocated space.

Or you can use some third-party software, but you need to pay for most of them. As I know, Aomei Partition Assistant Lite Edition is the only one which lets you enjoy it free of charge. 

In case the server loses power or goes down for some reason, fresh backup is always recommended before extending system partition.

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:17 AM