none
msi installing on Windows XP machines, but not Windows 7 - Group Policy

Question

• Hi,

I have an issue with a simple msi I am trying to install on all machines on our network, XP and Windows 7. The msi is for computer auditing of software. I have created a test OU, and the msi installs on XP machines ok, but not Windows 7. (The msi installs manually on the windows 7 machines ok)

I have configured to msi under User Configuration – Policies – Software Settings, and enabled the Loopback Group Policy Function in the Computer Configuration. The Windows 7 machines picks up the GPO but does not install it. It installs manually and on the XP machines, but not the Windows 7. I have filtered it to both Computer Users, and Domain Users. Msi File is in an server locations, with full access to Domain and Computer Users.

No errors in the event log that relate to this install. There is one that relates to a GP Printing, but to this install. Have installed other msi’s on the Windows 7 machine/s

Any ideas why the Windows 7 one doesn’t install but the XP one does, although the .msi manually installs on the Windows 7 machine!!?!?!?

Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise SP1

DC – 2008 DC

Cheers

Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to install the MSI files on all client computer, I suggest you to assign this software to computers not assign to users. If you assign to users, to be able to install the software in Windows 7, the user should have administrators right.

Please refer to the following link for more information about assign software to computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324750

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by The Futurist Friday, October 07, 2011 2:57 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 8:36 AM

All replies

• No suggestions but I am having this exact issue with the exception that we do not have any 2008 dc's.  Only 2003.  I've tried setting the startup policy processing time to 15 seconds, disabling UAC and Setting software install policy to process even if the gpo objects have no change.  Very frustrating so far.
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Yes very frustrating. I did think about UAC but it shouldnt affect as it turns on startup rather than log on.Im going to keep tinkering at it....

Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to install the MSI files on all client computer, I suggest you to assign this software to computers not assign to users. If you assign to users, to be able to install the software in Windows 7, the user should have administrators right.

Please refer to the following link for more information about assign software to computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324750

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by The Futurist Friday, October 07, 2011 2:57 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, all sorted, set the msi on computer rather than user, with no loopback, and job done

thanks again

Friday, October 07, 2011 3:06 PM