none
Error 0x8007003B unexpected network error at copying big files on a DFS share

Question

• Hi,

i have a problem with some of my DFS-shares.

The issue i noticed the first time today.

if i copy a big file (> 100mb) on my DFS share (domain-based namespace) i've got the error 0x8007003B unexpected network.

But not alle shares on the same server has the issue.

if i copy the big file direct on the server share (\\servername1\share1) the copying process works without any error's.

My server is a Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 and the Client is Windows 7 Prof. x64.

I've tried to copy big files from different operating systems (win 2k3 & win xp) and the were also no problem.

can somebody help me?

thanks for your help :)

best regards

Michael

Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Please have a test to install the following hotfix:

You cannot access a DFS share through a mapped network drive on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983620

If it cannot help fix the issue, please try the workground provided in article to see the result.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:17 AM

All replies

• bump
    Friday, December 03, 2010 8:34 AM
  • bump
    Monday, December 06, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Please have a test to install the following hotfix:

You cannot access a DFS share through a mapped network drive on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983620

If it cannot help fix the issue, please try the workground provided in article to see the result.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

the hotfix doesn't help me for my issue. i have copied one big file (200mb) without any problems, but afters this i get the same error.

I have one question for the workaround.

where i get the dfsutil.exe?

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:08 AM
  •  Here is a blog for how to get the DFSUTIL.exe:

Where to find DFSUTIL.EXE for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2010/05/02/where-to-find-dfsutil-exe-for-windows-server-2008-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 5:26 AM
  • ops, there is at the bottom of the page the windows 7 client.

sorry, i overlooked this part.

but the workaround doesn't help.

since i have installed the hotfix i can copy one big file to my dfs share after the boot.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:03 AM
  • bump
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:58 AM
  • bump
    Monday, December 13, 2010 8:45 AM
  • bumppp
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:31 AM
  • bump!
    Friday, December 17, 2010 8:05 AM
  • bump
    Friday, January 07, 2011 10:51 AM
  • bump
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:29 AM
  • i need help, otherwise i've to open an expensive support call
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:56 PM
  • bump
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:42 AM
  • last try: bump
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:15 AM

Bump, i have the same issue.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:34 PM

Bump, i have the same issue.

(forgot to activate the alert me when someone answer)

Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Has there been any solution to this problem? I have the same issue - copying large file from Windows 7 to Windows server share, mapped as Network Drive. Tried all the fixes to no avail. Always get the error 0x8007003B and when it faults out it closes the Network Drive connection so it shows as disconnected. Maybe 30 seconds later it re-connects. So it seems to me the problem is that during the transfer it shuts down the connection. Any solution would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Hi.

Found out, we have the same problem as soon as we started (and now stopped) deploying workstations with Windows 7. We are back to XP which has no such problems - with exactly the same policies and additional software installed. Our servers (both domain controllers which host the DFS namespace and two Fileservers with DFS replication enabled on most shares) are Windows Server 2008R2.

Not all the DFS shares are affected - in fact we found only one of all we have (and we have about 50 locations available) making this kind of trouble. I discovered, that when replication to our secondary fileserver is disabled and the DFS share has only 1 target, the problem disappears - so this can be used as a temporary workaround.

Luckily for us, the ony affected share is not very important and does not need to be safeguarded by replication. BUT A SOLUTION NOT BEING PROVIDED FOR 2 YEARS SEEMS TO BE JUST A WAY OF SHOWING THE CUSTOMER HOW "IMPORTANT" HE IS TO YOU, MICROSOFT, RIGHT?

I wonder if Vista clients (we have none and won't have none, not even for testing am I willing to install this parody of an operating system) are affected by this as well - there were bigger changes between XP and Vista than with Vista and 7 and maybe it starts all from there...

Friday, September 07, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Ours might be a slightly different scenario but thought I would share this just in case. We were also getting the 0x8007003B unexpected network error when transferring large files from either a Windows 2003 or 2008 server share to a newly-setup Windows 7 machine. It was also incredibly slow running database functions over the network, and would time out when running even fairly simple reports (which ran fine under XP).

It turns out that the network card on the Windows 7 machine (an Intel card) was per the Intel diagnostic "configured to force the speed to a low speed." As soon as I adjusted the speed of the card to auto negotiate, the problem disappeared.

This slow network card speed seems to have been set by the use of the Windows 7 Easy Transfer process. When I initially set up the machine, it had no speed issues. But when I transferred our user's data using the easy transfer process, the problem appeared. I'm wondering if the slower card speed from the user's original machine somehow got transferred as a network setting in this process...? I haven't tested this yet to find out so it's just a theory.

I hope this serves as solution to other Win 7/Easy Transfer/server share issues out there. Quite the annoying bug!

• Proposed as answer by BeccaS Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BeccaS Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tlamblawton Monday, October 07, 2013 1:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tlamblawton Monday, October 07, 2013 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:08 PM