none
Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows 8.1 desktop

Question

• My questions is whether a Windows Live account and a local account can be combined in Windows 8.  I asked this question in Microsoft Community and an MS employee said I should ask my question here.

Is there a way to have both active?

I want to reap the benefits of having a live account to keep everything in sync and fully utilize the features of Windows 8.1 but I have a Windows Home Server 2011 that requires that I have a local user account that matches the server side so that I can use resources on the server.

I've seen lots of tutorials for switching between the two account types but nothing for combining them.

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:42 PM

Answers

• You can with Domain Accounts.  If you go to PC Settings and then Accounts you can link your Live account to a domain account.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:58 PM
  • That is correct, 8.1 allows domain join while 8.1 (standard) does not.  I tried with a local account (non domain) and didn't see an option to link the local account with the Live account unfortunately.  

• Marked as answer by jayhitchcock Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:24 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• You can with Domain Accounts.  If you go to PC Settings and then Accounts you can link your Live account to a domain account.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Thanks so much for the response.

I assume then that this can only be accomplished with Windows 8.1 Pro, is that correct?

I only have W8.1 standard :(

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:20 PM
  • That is correct, 8.1 allows domain join while 8.1 (standard) does not.  I tried with a local account (non domain) and didn't see an option to link the local account with the Live account unfortunately.  

• Marked as answer by jayhitchcock Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:24 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 8:22 PM
  • I know how this works on a domain and I've gotten it to work. But, Windows Home Server 2011 uses workgroups, not domains. Does this mean we have to choose between home server with local account or Microsoft account and no home server (aside from giving guest access full access)?
    Friday, January 03, 2014 3:47 AM