none
How do I modify the filter settings in the Active Directory Users and Computers view?

Question

• I know this sounds like a stupid question but there's two parts to this and I'm hoping someone who lives and breathes AD will be able to help me out.

First issue - When opening Server Manager on my 2008 R2 DC, I expand the Active Directory Domain Services Role, then Users and Computers, then my Domain and finally I click on an OU.  In the center window I see the number of objects in the OU followed by the phrase [Filter Activated].  Many OU's with user accounts have more than 2000 entries but the filter is set to 2000 so I can't see all the objects within the OU.

I know to click on the View drop-down menu and change the Filter settings except, there's no Filter option from within the Server Manager view of ADUC.  Anyone know where this filter setting is?

Second issue - I've created an MMC that has all the plugins I use most often, including ADUC.  This option allows me to change the Filter settings so I can see all the objects within an OU but it doesn't list the total number of objects in the OU.

I would love to be able to both see the total number of objects within an OU and be able to change the Filter settings from the Server Manager but the MMC is a more useful tool so displaying the total objects in an OU would be a higher priority for me.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Dan

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

This should be the Server Manager's fixed feature. Not only click on an OU, in the center window we can see the number of objects in the OU followed by the phrase [Filter Activated], click DNS we can see the number of servers.

Please do as follows to be able to see number of objects in OU with ADUC:

1. Open ADUC, click View.

2. Choose Customize. Check Description bar.

3. Click OK.

And the Maximum number of items displayed per folder is 2000 by default, we could change it. Please do as follows:

1. Open ADUC, click View.

2. Choose Filter Options. In the text box type a number you want to display per folder.

3. Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

i can only say that i cannot see a way to change this inside the server manager also. Doesn't matter if Windows server 2008 or 2008 R2.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

This should be the Server Manager's fixed feature. Not only click on an OU, in the center window we can see the number of objects in the OU followed by the phrase [Filter Activated], click DNS we can see the number of servers.

1. Open ADUC, click View.

2. Choose Customize. Check Description bar.

3. Click OK.

And the Maximum number of items displayed per folder is 2000 by default, we could change it. Please do as follows:

1. Open ADUC, click View.

2. Choose Filter Options. In the text box type a number you want to display per folder.

3. Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:49 AM
  • 1. Open ADUC, click View.
    2. Choose Filter Options. In the text box type a number you want to display per folder.
    3. Click OK.

This works in the MMC ADUC but there is no option to change the Filter in the Server Manager 'version' of the ADUC.  :(

1. Open ADUC, click View.
    2. Choose Customize. Check Description bar.
    3. Click OK.

Hallelujah!!  That's what I was looking for and this is the perfect answer!

Thank-you!!

Daniel M. Hoyt Microsoft Server Administrator
    Friday, October 07, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Hi all,

Yan li gave the answer. +1 for Yan. For detailed information, please refer to the article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961564.aspx

Read more information on:

http://www.manageactivedirectory.com/

Thank you

Anil

LEPIDE

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:10 PM