none
Where is the "use connection settings from user settings" option in the RDP-Tcp 6.1 Properties Client Settings Tab?

Question

• We recently added a Windows 2008 R2 server to our Windows 2003 domain.  We have nearly 100 users accessing this new server via RDP.  We do not want session/redirected printing enabled for all users who access this server via Remote Desktop Services.  We want only a few users to have access to a session/redirected printer on the Windows 2008 R2 server.  On our Windows 2003 Terminal Servers we can navigate through the RDP-Tcp 5.2 properties option to the Client Settings tab and select the option "use connection settings from user settings" which permits us to grant access to session printers via the user's Active Directory properties>Environment tab>check the box in front of "connect client printers at logon" option.  How do we achieve the same result on a Windows 2008 R2 server?

• Moved by Wilson Jia Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:13 AM Consolidation (From:Windows Server 2008 R2 General)
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:07 AM

Answers

• I have called on Microsoft Technical Support this evening and they are creating a test environment to find a solution.  I'll report any "outcomes" and "next steps" as they become available.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, June 28, 2010 8:01 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 1:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

did you install from the RSAT via add feature on a Windows server 2008 R2 machine the "Remote Desktop Session Host configuration console"? There you should be able to change/control change the RDP-Tcp settings.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  Yes, the Remote Desktop Session Host configuration console is installed.  The difference with the properties of RDP-Tcp 6.1 (Windows Server 2008 R2) and RDP-Tcp 5.2 (Windows Server 2003) can be found when you navigate to the Client Settings tab.  What's missing from the Client Settings tab in RDP-Tcp 6.1 is the option to "use connection settings from user settings".  Is this functionality found elsewhere?
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:45 PM
  • I have called on Microsoft Technical Support this evening and they are creating a test environment to find a solution.  I'll report any "outcomes" and "next steps" as they become available.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, June 28, 2010 8:01 AM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Did you ever hear back from Support about this?

I am running into the same problem on 2008. I've tested what I'm trying to do on 2003 an all works fine, but I need to have the 2008 TS 'obey' the user settings in AD.

Hope you can help by sharing your results.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:41 AM
  • I am running into this problem too.

I have a W2k8 SP1 TS and missing the Use connection settings from user settings checkbox in the Client Settings tab.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:44 AM