none
Suddenly all drives are (disconnected) network drives..???

Question

• We have a DC and two seperate Terminal Servers
    On the Terminal Servers (Windows Server 2008) the network drives have been working just fine for a long time.

Since a week or so when we reboot the server(s) only the known connections are made and all seems fine, but when I check the next day all drives (A-Z so to speak) are occupied with several disconnected network drives. All mappings seem disconnected but are actually working when clicking on them..????

I have no idea where there mappings come from, I have allready checked the login script and it's fine. Somewhere on a forum I found you can change a setting to track the creation of mappings in de Event Log but you would have to set a property in regedit for I,J,Q and Z for instance. The problem is these links are nowhere to be found in the registry. I have checked for all (!) users seperatly...

I hope someone where can help me with this, because it is getting a bit anoying :-)

Thanks in advance !
    Raymond

Monday, April 22, 2013 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

This behavior may occur because the systems can drop idle connections after a specified time-out period (by default, 15 minutes) to prevent wasting server resources on unused sessions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684/en-us

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. Before I take any action.
    The problem is also driveletters are accupied which are not in any login script or wherever....

Can it still be the time-out is causing this in that case ?

Raymond

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:21 AM
  • We have the same issues on 2 different Terminal Servers (W2k3 + W2k8 different sites)

All drive letters which are not in the login script (net use command) or local drives get occupied as a "not connected network drive" 

If I try simply to disconnect the drive letter it gives a error message "this network connection does not exist"

Any update on this issue ?

Regards,

Marco van gameren

Telemos

Friday, April 26, 2013 8:17 AM
  • I have done de registry setting on de File Server but still have to reboot the Terminal Server to see what happens.

The FileServer is 2003 by the way, seemd the same as your case.....
    If you find anything else...keep me informed :-)

Raymond

Friday, April 26, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I have the same issue on our Server 2012 server, where 8 drives have now switched to "Disconnected Network Drive".

This is very frustrating as our Backup Software relies on this and currently no backup?!?!

Monday, July 29, 2013 11:47 AM