none
2008 R2 Core Mode Domain Controllers

Question

• I am considering wiping and reloading my domain controllers as Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Core mode.  I'm curious what people's experiences have been with domain controllers running core.  Any major issues to consider remote management, bugs, or otherwise? 

At this point I am thinking of using an unattended text file to perform the DC promotions.  On core mode is there a more preferred method?  I had walked through the install in my test lab using the coreconfigurator and noticed there was no obvious way to prevent DNS from installing with the domain controller role.  My domain controllers currently do not have DNS installed and I do not want it to install during the promotion process. 

Thanks,

Jon

Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You'll find samples of unattend files and all parameters here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947034/en-us

There is a parameter for DNS :

InstallDNS
    • Yes | No
    • The default value changes depending on the operation. For a new forest, the DNS server role   is installed by default. For a new tree, a new child domain, or a replica, a DNS server is installed by default if an existing DNS infrastructure is detected by the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard. If no existing DNS infrastructure is detected by the wizard, a DNS server is not installed by default.
    • This entry specifies whether DNS is configured for a new domain if the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard detects that the DNS dynamic update protocol is not available. This entry also applies if the wizard detects an insufficient number of DNS servers for an existing domain.

Work with Core mode isn't so complicated and I recommend it every time I can. 

Regards,

Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:44 AM

All replies

• This should probably have been posted under Active Directory...

I have a Blog that covers remote, core install but it gies one step further, it promotes it as an RODC.
    http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/paulbergson/archive/2012/05/03/how-to-remotely-promote-server-core-to-a-read-only-domain-controller-rodc.aspx

I just moved it from another location so hopefully it doesn't run together.  It should have some example text file in there for the unattended install.  One thing to note, I have not heard of many folks doing the core install, it is difficult to manage remotely.

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    http://www.pbbergs.com    Twitter @pbbergs
    http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/paulbergson

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

You'll find samples of unattend files and all parameters here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947034/en-us

There is a parameter for DNS :

InstallDNS
    • Yes | No
    • The default value changes depending on the operation. For a new forest, the DNS server role   is installed by default. For a new tree, a new child domain, or a replica, a DNS server is installed by default if an existing DNS infrastructure is detected by the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard. If no existing DNS infrastructure is detected by the wizard, a DNS server is not installed by default.
    • This entry specifies whether DNS is configured for a new domain if the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard detects that the DNS dynamic update protocol is not available. This entry also applies if the wizard detects an insufficient number of DNS servers for an existing domain.

Work with Core mode isn't so complicated and I recommend it every time I can. 

Regards,

Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:44 AM
  • It's a very good idea to set up a Core as a "secondary" DC.  My experience (lab) is that it worked fine, but when I transferred the FMSO roles, in order to demote the GUI DC, I ran into trouble. 

In retrospect, this trouble was probably mainly by having to move the DNS and DHCP roles to the Core, and this is difficult enough at the command line.

So, my 2c worth:  Core is a great secondary DC (low memory footprint), but keep a GUI one running to do admin tasks.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:15 AM