none
'Applying User Settings' Notification

Question

• According to this reference guide, one can actually turn on a notification when user policy settings are applied, using GPO settings.

"4. User policy is applied. These are the settings under User Configuration from the gathered list. GPOs are processed in the following order: local, site, domain, organizational unit, child organizational unit, and so on. No notification appears while user policies are processed. (Notification can be turned on through policy.)"

Where can I find such settings?  I looked here and still couldn't find it.

Thanks ahead.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• what this setting does, is exactly related to the "Applying Personal Settings" message.
    this setting will expand upon "Applying Personal Settings" and instead of displaying "Applying Personal Settings" it will display several messages detailing the sub-tasks which comprise "Applying Personal Settings".
    but it only occurs at machine startup and at user logon. once the user logon is completed this setting has no further relevance until user logout or machine shutdown.
    I have this setting on my Win7 laptop. it has informed me of which logon subtask (User Profile Service) is taking 30 seconds for no apparent reason (a timeout, it seems to me, which is only occurring when not connected to my domain network)

(note i use the term "detailing" rather loosely. you basically get 5 messages instead of a single message, but each message is quite brief)

was it that you wanted some visual indication of GP processing occurring as a background refresh? (i.e. the 90-minute refresh occurring?)
    if so, I'm not aware of a native setting to do that, but i guess you could develop something that "watches" for such activity.

there's probably a bunch of reasons why Windows doesn't offer this by default (I would guess security and performance considerations).
    and, Windows7 was designed to be less needy/noisy in general (compared to earlier Windows versions)

Don

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the settings reference does describe a setting which does (kind of) do this.
    Logon.admx | Verbose vs normal status messages | Machine | System

Directs the system to display highly detailed status messages.\n\n\nIf you enable this setting, the system displays status messages that reflect each step in the process of starting, shutting down, logging on, or logging off the system.\n\n\nThis setting is designed for sophisticated users that require this information.\n\n\nNote: This setting is ignored if the "Remove Boot / Shutdown / Logon / Logoff status messages" setting is enabled.

Don

Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Thanks Don for your reply.

I was looking for a notification box similar to the Applying Personal Settings box in XP, for Windows 7.  The setting you mentioned is a good troubleshooting tool though.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:54 PM
  • what this setting does, is exactly related to the "Applying Personal Settings" message.
    this setting will expand upon "Applying Personal Settings" and instead of displaying "Applying Personal Settings" it will display several messages detailing the sub-tasks which comprise "Applying Personal Settings".
    but it only occurs at machine startup and at user logon. once the user logon is completed this setting has no further relevance until user logout or machine shutdown.
    I have this setting on my Win7 laptop. it has informed me of which logon subtask (User Profile Service) is taking 30 seconds for no apparent reason (a timeout, it seems to me, which is only occurring when not connected to my domain network)

(note i use the term "detailing" rather loosely. you basically get 5 messages instead of a single message, but each message is quite brief)

was it that you wanted some visual indication of GP processing occurring as a background refresh? (i.e. the 90-minute refresh occurring?)
    if so, I'm not aware of a native setting to do that, but i guess you could develop something that "watches" for such activity.

there's probably a bunch of reasons why Windows doesn't offer this by default (I would guess security and performance considerations).
    and, Windows7 was designed to be less needy/noisy in general (compared to earlier Windows versions)

Don

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Thanks Don for your helpfule note.

I was troubleshooting some GP issues that some settings were not consistently applied in Win 7.  Checked RSOP everything looked fine.  Couldn't pinpoint the problem with Eventlogs either, so I was trying to see if there is anything I can turn on so that I can see it 'as it happens'.

I'll turn on the verbose mode and see what I can find out.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:30 PM