none
How to add user account "Sql Server System Administrator" to AD controller?

Question

• I need to install Sql Server Ent on my Windows Server 2008 x64. The installation requires a separate account of the above name, at least in Vista Ult. When I tried to set this account in AD I ran into some problems. I can do it programmatically with C# code but I really want to try to learn how to handle this complicated GUI. Please, help.

Many thanks.

AlexB
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:25 AM

Answers

• hi alex,

here is what i did , i installed sql on windows 2003, and tried to start the service, it was successful.

there is a small clause : it got started with local account instead of domain account

Later i tried to start the sql server service using domain account
     eg: domain\administrator

i wasnt starting

i would like to know is this a limitation from SQL front ? , because windows OS hosts many other services where in the developer code in their application about the rights , what i mean is in sql developer would have specified a way to start the sql service
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, March 27, 2009 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to the description, the issue seems to be related to SQL server. As we mainly focus on the general question about Windows Server system, for better and accurate answer to the question, it is recommend you to get further support in one of the SQL forum

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

SQL Server

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=93&SiteID=17

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:46 AM
  •  Not much of a convenience. You should have asked me if I knew of those forums. I would have said: for years and been there many times. This question is CLEARLY related to Windows Server 2008.

As I said, I have all C# routines to accomplish that but want to retrace my moves to set this up in teh GUI which I actually did once but forgot.
    AlexB
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:22 PM
  • hi alex,

please refer to the link below 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx

i would ask you a question , when you are setting up SQL server, these accounts will get added to the dsa , if you are installing on the DC

or if you are installing it on the member server , your User and computers should display theese accounts which are not created by default by any administrator , but they are created when server is installed.

what is the error you get when you are tryingto create the acount

is this possible on windows 2003 ?

Monday, March 23, 2009 3:44 PM
  •  Thank you very much for the link. It is very valuable.

I am not entirely understand your question but will try to answer my best anyway. My experience is limited essentially to installing Sql Server on Vista Ult x64. I've done it a few times. I mean, before I've done it also on Windows Server 2003 I believe but I don't recall much and also it may not be of your interest anyway. I've been installing Sql Server Ent Ed.

What happens is that when you start installation, the install GUI checks software and hardware requirements. Assuming you've passed all tests on hardware it now comes to software and one of the demands for the install is to have an account Sql Server System Administrator. I do believe that without this account the install will not proceed. You have to roll it back, although I am not entirely sure. In any event if you do proceed you will end up having numerous problems.

In case I forget, I roll it back, open cmd prompt as administrator, type lusrmsg.msc, CR, get Local Users and Groups GUI, enter a new group Sql Server System Administrator, enter myself in there as a user, create a separate user Sql Server System Administrator, also enter it into the group Sql Server System Administrator and close GUI. I also restart the machine and I should see a new user appearing next to MS globe: Sql Server System Administrator, next to my name. I now can sign in as myself and that administrator.

After that I safely proceed to do the install.

I tried to install Sql Server on Windows Server 2008 and I eieehr backed off myself when I realized that I did not have that or I got a warning. I simply do not recall. I go thru so many motions during a day, working on two dev machines, frequently installing software that I lose track. I've gained much experience lately because I undertook a major hardware aupgrade, replacing my HDDs, removing RAID array and doing other crazy things. I had to do massive reinstalls.

If I did not answer your question, you may rephrase it differently.

what is the error you get when you are tryingto create the acount

As I said in my previous post I don't get any eror. I do have means to set this account programmatically but waht to do it with a GUI. I have my reason to want to do it this way.

Thanks.

AlexB
    Monday, March 23, 2009 8:20 PM
  • hi alex,

here is what i did , i installed sql on windows 2003, and tried to start the service, it was successful.

there is a small clause : it got started with local account instead of domain account

Later i tried to start the sql server service using domain account
     eg: domain\administrator

i wasnt starting

i would like to know is this a limitation from SQL front ? , because windows OS hosts many other services where in the developer code in their application about the rights , what i mean is in sql developer would have specified a way to start the sql service
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, March 27, 2009 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:12 AM