none
Windows 2008 Server - Which Version I have????

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 2008 Stanadard version installed on my computer. Excat information of the version found by winver command is as follows;

Microsoft Windows Server Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) ... ... This product is licensed under the Microsoft Software License Term to:
    Windows User

Bright Sides

1) Its get activated and have a Microsoft Genuine certificate.
    2) I am downloading SP2 from the website at the moment.
    3) Getting all the updates properly

Questions

1) How do I find out what excatly I have???
    2) Is my windows is fully activated to use all Windows Server functionality?
    3) If I want to register this product on a Corporate "official" Level (I think Windows 2008 Server R2). What do I have do?
    4) I have the key from microsoft for to fully activate this version but when I entered that key it failed to accept.
    5) Is it even possible to upgarde this version to corporate level (i.e. Windows 2008 Server R2).

Thanks,

--
    sjunejo
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Sjunejo

thanks for posting in windows forum

1) : please run winver utiility frm command prompt to know the version of the OS you are running.

2) : After successful activation you can use the inbuilt roles of windows 2008 without any further activation , but if you would like to use terminal services you need to buy relevant licenses and similarly it holds good for ISA, Exchange server etc...

4) : what is the error message you receive when you key in the PRODUCT KEY

sainath !analyze
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

Please click Start, right-click Computer and click Properties. Now you will find what version of Windows Server 2008 you are running and whether your system is activated.

When installing SP2, you do not need to retype the product key.

If you would like to install R2, you have to buy an R2 key.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Sjunejo

thanks for posting in windows forum

1) : please run winver utiility frm command prompt to know the version of the OS you are running.

2) : After successful activation you can use the inbuilt roles of windows 2008 without any further activation , but if you would like to use terminal services you need to buy relevant licenses and similarly it holds good for ISA, Exchange server etc...

4) : what is the error message you receive when you key in the PRODUCT KEY

sainath !analyze
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi Sainath,

Thanks for your reply.

1) When I applied winver from command prompt it display the same message box.

2) So If I apply corprate key it should activate all functionalities for Win 2008 Server?

4) Error message is conventional one i.e.

The product key you have entered does not appear to be a valid Windows Server product key. Please check your product key and type it again.

Please note that the time when key was applied and it get rejected is when windows was not activated at all. Not even a MSDN version.

Note: I forgot to mention in my first post that at the time of installtion if I remember correctly it was MSDN version. When I tried to activate it, it failed (because of network problem I guess) but today when I tried again it get activated successfully.

I am in process of installing SP2 for Windows 2008 Server and then I wil try to apply the same key again. Is that OK???

Thanks,

Sheeraz
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Please click Start, right-click Computer and click Properties. Now you will find what version of Windows Server 2008 you are running and whether your system is activated.

When installing SP2, you do not need to retype the product key.

If you would like to install R2, you have to buy an R2 key.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:48 AM