none
Cannot use remote assistance on sessions other than console session with Session Based IP Virtualization

Question

• I've been implementing VIPs in a test RDS environment.

I've hit a few roadblocks along the way:

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
    2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2619880

But now I have another issue, I would like to use the msra tool for supporting the staff. If I have an administrator logged onto the console session (so there is no Virtual IPs assigned yet) and no other sessions then I can shadow that session with msra.

However if I have just one more session then msra fails to connect to the server.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:57 PM

Answers

• I have spent some time with Microsoft Support on this. They have confirmed that they can reproduce this issue. However, they have said to me that this is by design. I am disappointed, but at least I have an answer.

I will work around this by having an administrative user automatically log onto the servers console session. So long as there is an administrative user in the console session, shadowing works.

I have asked Microsoft to provide a KB article for this issue.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:26 PM

All replies

• But now I have another issue, I would like to use the msra tool for supporting the staff. If I have an administrator logged onto the console session (so there is no Virtual IPs assigned yet) and no other sessions then I can shadow that session with msra.

However if I have just one more session then msra fails to connect to the server.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Pls don't use the console session to logon to the TS,use the Terminal session and then shadow the session to see whether it works.As far as i know,you can't shadow the session within console.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Sorry you misunderstood my question.

Lets say I am on a Computer and I wish to shadow a user on Server A

If Server A has IP Virtualization enabled the following scenario happens:

1. If the user on Server A is logged onto the console session, and there are no other users logged onto Server A then I can shadow them without issue from my Computer
    2. If the user on Server A is logged onto the console session, and there ARE other users logged onto Server A using remote sessions (with Virtual IPs), then if I try to provide assistance, it fails to connect.
    3. If the user on Server A is logged onto a remote session, this session has a Virtual IP and if I try to connect to Server A to provide assistance, it fails to connect

If I disable IP Virtualisation completely on the server then I can provide assistance no matter what the situation.

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:41 AM
  • I have spent some time with Microsoft Support on this. They have confirmed that they can reproduce this issue. However, they have said to me that this is by design. I am disappointed, but at least I have an answer.

I will work around this by having an administrative user automatically log onto the servers console session. So long as there is an administrative user in the console session, shadowing works.

I have asked Microsoft to provide a KB article for this issue.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:26 PM