none
CBS.persist.log - Can Delete?

Question

• On my windows 2008 servers CBS.log and alot CBS.persist.log consume alot of disk space. some forum / article mention CBS.persist.log are safe to delete but some article not recommence to remove it. Can the CBS.persist.log be deleted? any risk?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The SFC.exe program writes the details of each verification operation and of each repair operation to the CBS.log file. The CBS.persist.log is generated when the CBS gets to be around 50 meg in size. CBS.log is copied to cbs.persist.log and a new cbs.log file is started.

It would be useful only for troubleshooting issues. If you are sure your system is running fine, you can delete this file. SFC.exe will create a new one, next time it is run.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, December 05, 2011 2:22 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The SFC.exe program writes the details of each verification operation and of each repair operation to the CBS.log file. The CBS.persist.log is generated when the CBS gets to be around 50 meg in size. CBS.log is copied to cbs.persist.log and a new cbs.log file is started.

It would be useful only for troubleshooting issues. If you are sure your system is running fine, you can delete this file. SFC.exe will create a new one, next time it is run.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, December 05, 2011 2:22 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:26 AM
  • I would like to bump this as I am attempting to manage multiple 2008 R2 machines that are quickly running out of disk space.  I'm trying to find a way to manage this without having to log into the machine every other day to delete this file.  

Is there a setting, registry, or property that I can adjust to have this file deleted or forced to be rolled and compressed?  I'm working on getting anything on this but yet have to find any means of management.  I really don't want to hack the system by putting a task in to run and delete.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a026dea1-7473-4d82-8521-f3362ebb0a44/cbslog-ballooning?forum=winserverManagement

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:05 PM
  • There isn't a way to set the files to delete, no.  How much space are the logs consuming on your machine that you need to do this daily?

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:37 PM
  • They are growing to a size anywhere between 2-14GB in a days time.  Most of these machines I have expanded the disk space to 100GB+ (Origiinally around 50GB)  just to slow the amount of times I have to log in and delete.  
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Gotcha, I saw that you're on both threads I replied to this morning.  I'm looking into it and hope to have something for you shortly.  I don't believe log level is configurable down, only upwards (more verbose).  Once I have something I'll reply to the threads for you.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Thank you Joseph!  I appreciate the help!

If you need anymore information Please let me know and I will get it to you ASAP.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:49 PM
  • They are growing to a size anywhere between 2-14GB in a days time.  Most of these machines I have expanded the disk space to 100GB+ (Origiinally around 50GB)  just to slow the amount of times I have to log in and delete.  
    I am seeing the same thing just start happening recently.  On a few of my 2008 R2 servers the cbs.log files grew to 80+GB.  I deleted everything in the cbs folder again but they are starting their growth again.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:13 PM
  • I figured this out.  I had a relatively new WMI query that was checking on windows updates status.  It was set to run too frequently and was filling up my logs.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Great, I'm glad you found root cause here.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:46 AM